Chapter 15

Azra and Cyrus led Valerie through the forest. It was like no woods that Valerie had ever seen, except in storybooks. Leaves of every shade of green imaginable were on the trees, and on some of them, the bark glinted as if it had been brushed with gold paint.

As they walked, Valerie occasionally caught a glimpse of something moving in the woods, but she couldn't make out what it was. She started to worry that they were being surrounded, but Azra's words softly entered her mind, reassuring her. It's the people of the woods. Humans used to call them elves. They don't like to be bothered often, but they won't hurt us. Valerie let out a breath that she didn't know she'd been holding. We're nearly there, Azra added.

"Where exactly are we, anyway? On the planet, I mean."

The Globe is split into different countries, much like Earth. Right now we're in the country of Arden. It's mainly made up of forests, lakes, and waterfalls, and its capital is Silva.

"That's where you guys live?"

Yes. And I think you'll like it here very much. In Arden, there are many wonderful teachers who will help you to explore your powers. Here, there are no rules like those on Earth to suppress the magic inside you. You can be the person you really are, fulfill your true potential.

"I hope I fit in."

"You will!" Cyrus exclaimed. "After all, you're friends with me, so everyone will know you're cool. But you can't tell everyone that you're from Earth. People would ask a lot of questions. Plus, we don't want that Sanguina lady finding out where you are."

"Did you ever figure out who she is and what she wants from me?"

Azra's eyes were clouded when she answered. I have a strong suspicion of who Sanguina is. I must make sure before I accuse her. Rest assured, when I know for certain, I will tell you.

Valerie nodded. "But won't it be obvious that I'm not from the Globe? I mean, I've never been around magic before."

Cyrus smiled. "No problem. We'll tell everyone that you're from Messina. It's an island in the middle of the ocean. The people there have forbidden the practice of any magic. And they almost never leave their island, so you're not likely to run into anyone who will ask you hard questions. Also, Messina is where I'm from, so it will make sense that we know each other so well."

"You grew up without magic?" Valerie asked, surprised.

Cyrus shifted uncomfortably, not meeting her eyes. "It's a long story. But yeah, I grew up without any magic, until my parents let me come to Silva for school when I was eight. I've lived here ever since."

"You must miss them so much," Valerie said, trying to imagine why anyone would want to leave their family if they were lucky enough to have one.

"I do, but I visit all the time. It's just—I don't fit in there. I love magic too much. It's so hard to suppress my powers when I'm home for the holidays. But I'll take you to meet my parents and my sister sometime."

"I'd like that."

"Anyway, Messina is the perfect alibi for you," Cyrus said, changing the subject. "Speaking of fitting in, that reminds me, I brought you a charm so you can speak and understand any language. Everyone uses it on the Globe so that we can all communicate with each other. It saves everyone a lot of frustration and confusion."

Valerie caught Cyrus's change of subject and decided to drop her questions about him and his family for now. She had enough to absorb. She grinned widely as Cyrus described the charm. "No way! Magic can do that? It's such a brilliant idea."