chapter 2

delia waited outside the locker room for jack. originally, she wasn't supposed to make it to tonight's game, but things in her schedule got moved around. as a result, she decided to surprise jack. he noticed she was in the arena right before the game and told her she was staying with him tonight.

"i'm so mad at you, dels!" jack said when he saw her standing outside the locker room.

she kissed him, "no, you're not."

"you're right, i could never be mad at you," he smiled down at her. he grabbed her hand and guided her to his car. the walk over to his car was filled with paparazzi and loud chattering trying to get the couple to pose for pictures. delia was no stranger to this type of behavior since she was a singer. it escalated though when delia and jack finally announced they were dating a couple of months ago. they postponed sharing their relationship for this exact reason.

"i swear they never leave the arena," jack stated when they had finally gotten in the car. delia agreed. every time she came to a game, the cameras knew exactly where to find her and jack.

delia responded, "at some point they'll get tired of us ignoring them and they'll focus on some other couple. they're only fixated on us because the season just started and we're still a new couple."

jack knew the girl was right. "i know, it still sucks though," he rubbed his thumb over her hand. these were the times that jack hated that he had some fame. it made his dating life quite difficult and it definitely didn't help that his girlfriend was also in the spotlight.

delia reassured her boyfriend, "it's me and you against the world, remember. we'll get through this!" jack briefly took his eyes off the road to look at her and smile. that smile that made her fall in love with him.

they were enjoying the drive when jack's phone kept going off. the first couple of times it happened, they both ignored it. unfortunately, the text messages kept coming in.

"dels, can you check my phone for me?" jack asked.

delia picked up his phone and looked at his lock screen. the messages were coming from some groupchat that appeared to be all of his family members.

tori told jack, "it looks like your family groupchat is going off and it looks like your mom is wanting you to ask me something. i can't really tell because luke is spamming it like crazy."

jack rolled his eyes, "of course luke is spamming it! just open up the groupchat and see what's going on."

she unlocked his phone and went to the messages. she scrolled to the top and said, "so far it's just them congratulating you on your great game." she kept scrolling and said, "your dad also sent a gif." that earned a laugh from jack. she continued to scroll until she landed on ellen's question. her eyes widen and her breath hitched.

jack noticed the unusual behavior and asked, "hey, what's wrong?"

"oh, your mom is wanting to invite me to dinner and meet the whole family," delia answered trying to regain her composure. she has yet to meet jack's family which may come as a shock. their schedules never really lined up considering she was touring during the beginning of their relationship. delia briefly talked to luke over facetime once and that was the most interaction she's had with anyone from the hughes family.

jack started asking more questions, but delia was zoned out. she's never been one to have any problems talking to adults, but she was terrified to meet ellen and jim. she didn't want them to disapprove of her.

"earth to delia. did you hear what i just asked?" jack tried getting her attention.

delia snapped out of her train of thought, "sorry, no i didn't."

"i asked if my mom said when she was thinking about getting dinner," jack told her while trying to figure out what just happened.

delia went back to jack's phone and responded, "she was thinking whenever you play quinn in a couple of weeks in vancouver." right after she responded, jack pulled into his place.

"okay, let's relax for a bit and then we can talk about this," he turned to look directly at her. she smiled and nodded.