Chapter 17

Violet

I splash water onto my face trying to tame my nerves. The gender reveal for my babies is later today and my nerves are going haywire.

"Violet?" Oak calls out knocking on the bathroom door. "You alright? Julie and Grey stopped by, they're asking for you."

"I'm going." I call out, drying my face. I make my way back to the counter seeing both Julie and Grey. "Hi guys."

"Hi Violet." Grey grins. "Can I pick a donut Jules?"

"Um, give me a minute ok? Go have a seat real quick." The little boy nods at his sister as he runs off.

"I um." She bites on her bottom lip to stop it from trembling. "Mom and dad left for a business trip yesterday, they'll be gone the whole week. I didn't know till this morning when they texted. Usually I can get a few bucks that they leave laying around and save it up for the times they leave.  But they didn't say anything and I wasn't prepared." Her breathing speeds up, she's on the verge of a panic attack.

"Sweetie, I need you to calm down ok? Deep breaths." She nods rapidly, taking deep breaths.

"I don't have any money Violet. I didn't save anything. I need to buy groceries and stuff for the house. I know you're pregnant and you can't really help me but I promise you I'll pay you back as soon as I get the money."

"Oh Julie." I sigh feeling bad for her. "Of course I'll help you two. And don't worry about paying me back, I know times are tough alright?"

She nods grateful. "Get your brother over here, I'll give you guys some donuts."

She waves Grey over who comes running. He gets his donut and runs back to the booth. I let Julie pick out a sweet treat before coming up with an idea. "I'd give you the money but since you're buying groceries that need to last you a week long I'm assuming that's quite a bit and I don't want you two carrying that home." I look down at the time on my phone and sigh. "I have to be somewhere in an hour, if you want I can take you guys with me then I'll take you two grocery shopping?"

"Really?" She looks up at me hopefully. "Mhm, I'm having a gender reveal, so if you two want you can attend or you can wait at home till it's over then I can take you."

"You wouldn't mind us attending?" Her fingers drum against the counter repeatedly.

"Of course not! Oak and Brie will be there, my boyfriend's nephew will also be there, he's a few years younger than your brother so he'll have somebody to play with."

She looks back to her brother as a small smile grows on her lips, "yea I think it'll be good for him to socialize."

"Perfect." I grin. "We leave in an hour. You two could stay here, hang out in the back or go home freshen up and come back whatever you like."

"I think we'll stay, thank you." I nod, reminding her that the drinks in the fridge are available for them if they get thirsty.

Oak comes from the back, switching places with Brie who's cleaning tables. "They alright?"

"Yea, their parents left for a business trip without telling them so she wasn't prepared. I'm going to take them grocery shopping later." Oaks face softens as he watches the sibling laugh as they eat donuts.