Chapter 17

I turn up to training the next day with an almost skip in my step and as close to a smile as I can get to. Except I don't skip and I rarely smile.

But I was close.

Very close.

I attract some looks as I walk in. I don't usually like attention, but today, today I don't mind.

The squad is still in their clothing chatting around Coach. My eyes instantly find Oliver due to his sandy mop of hair above everyone else's. Time almost passes in slow motion, there are a few shocked looks, gasps, eyes widening. Ryan looks annoyed and Andy is grinning nodding his head and the rest of the team looks confused as fuck. I try not to be as smug as I feel.

I fail.

I nearly have a skip in my step, and I have to forcibly chill myself down so I don't look like a little kid running toward the toy section.

Coache's voice makes times catch up to real-time. "What the hell are you doing here Beau?" His deep voice calls, an unimpressed brow raised with my 'I'm the guy' walk.

I grin, teeth and all. "Oliver let me come back early, Coach."

Yep, I did that. I put full blame on Oliver and attention off of me and onto our captain. You're welcome.

Coach swivels his head to Oliver who is  grumbling incoherent words under his breath.

"This right, Oliver?"

I speak up before Oliver can. "Yep, I was on good behaviour," I say, offering my most innocent grin.

Coach snorts at that, looking like he doesn't believe it, and gives Oliver an expectant look, waiting for his response.

Oliver grunts, crossing his arms over his chest begrudgingly, avoiding Coach's eye. "Yes." he sighs. "I said he could come back," Oliver admits reluctantly.

Coach looks surprised, another glance and a pregnant pause before he nods slowly. "Alright then, I trust your opinion."

Coach fixes me with a stern look. "But behave, kid, alright?"

I nod, a grin coming to face as I salute him sarcastically. "On my best behaviour sir." I'm probably pushing the line.. okay I definitely am—but I'm in a good mood today.

Coach rolls his eyes, but I see the way the corner of his mouth tugs. He doesn't say it, but he missed me.

He claps his hands together, "Alright right team, let's get back to it. Get changed and then everyone poolside ready for warm up and some basic drills. We are going to some timed races."

Everyone groans aloud.

Timed sprints are crucial to getting in Coach's good books. To see where you sit in the group. I'm not usually nervous, but something heavy sits in my stomach today at the thought of it. Not the most ideal way for me to start training again after a break. I'm at a disadvantage, because while I have been on timeout, everyone else has been swimming every day and getting better. That thought makes my me feel queasy.

What's worse though, is that coach called me over before I got in the changing rooms to tell me that I shouldn't worry about how behind I am, that it is okay if my times aren't my best since I have been off. It's insulting. I've never been a middle-of-the-pack swimmer and I ain't about to start now. Yes, I'm behind and a little out of training.. but knowing me, I'll swim until I pass out if it meant proving myself, (that isn't a smart idea though, and I do not suggest).

When I get into the changing room, my mood has dampened thanks to Coaches lack of faith in me. The fire to do well burning even hotter. Nationals is soon, too soon. Has Coach lost hope in me? Does he think I won't be good by then?