Chapter Four

The guard hurriedly announced his presence, as Priyadarshini got up from where she had been reclining on the cushions. What did he want now, she wondered, pulling her veil halfway over her face. He came to stand in front of her, frowning hard, as if he found the whole thing distasteful.

"I hope you had a good night," he remarked in a taunting manner, trying to rub salt in her wound.

Priyadarshini curtsied, before replying, "Oh yes, my lord. Better than I expected," and saw his eyes darken in displeasure. Serves him right, she thought with a tiny smile. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence at this hour?"

Taken aback to find her smiling and confident, he cleared his throat, before continuing. "Ahem....we....have to go on a round of the city. The people are eager to see their new Princess. Get ready, we depart soon." With that, he turned and walked away, leaving her full of apprehension at her first public appearance.

Dressed once again in her finery, Priyadarshini followed the guards to where the Prince was waiting impatiently for her. A ceremonial horse-drawn carriage waited at the gates, with the six horses champing at the bit. She took her place on the padded seat beside him, as the coachman pulled the reins. Neighing, the horses broke into a gallop moving onto the road which led through the city. Citizens lined both sides of the road, eager to catch a glimpse of the newlyweds. Expecting cheers of joy, Priyadarshini was unprepared for what she saw.

"The enemy's daughter," a woman called out, spitting on the dusty ground. Another moved her child from the path of the carriage, muttering to herself.

"The enemy's seed is not welcome here. She will only bring bad luck." Stunned, Priyadarshini sat motionless as profanities were hurled at her. She turned to look at the Prince, who was sitting as if he had not heard any of it. Did he not see how she was being disrespected? Did her honor not matter to him at all?

They were almost at the city gates when a one-legged man hobbled towards the carriage. With his wild hair and bloodshot eyes, he was a fearful sight and clearly of an unhinged mind. Priyadarshini shrank back as he neared them, clutching in nervousness at her husband's arm. "Look well, woman," he addressed her. "See what your countrymen did to me," he pointed to the stub where a leg had once been. With that, he hurled a stone at her, aiming for her head. The unexpected move did not even give her time to duck her head. The stone hit her forehead with full force, drawing out blood. Harshvardhan glanced once at the gushing blood, then turned his eyes the other way. Dismayed, she used her veil to stanch the flow of blood. The coachman shouted at the deranged man, shooing him away. The carriage turned, moving towards the palace once again.

"What on earth happened to you, my lady?" Lalita rushed to her side as she entered her bedchamber. "Did you have an accident?" Appalled at the sight, she ran to fetch some cloth and water in a basin. Washing her wound with gentle hands, she once again asked curiously, "Will you not tell me how you came to be hurt so badly?" Breaking down at last, Priyadarshini clasped her companion's hands, sobbing deeply. Amid hiccups, she recounted the whole incident. The harsh words and the blow from the stone had not hurt as much as her husband's indifference to her fate.

"What shameful conduct!" Lalita exclaimed incredulously. "We at Reshamgarh would never think of dishonoring a lady in this manner. I guess, the people here are as savage as their Prince."

Lying in her bed at night, Priyadarshini wondered at her bleak future. What use a husband who could not protect his wife or rather chose not to protect her? She knew that none would lift a finger to save her here if any ill befell her. It was up to her to see to her own safety. Every step in the enemy territory was full of danger. She would do better to be on her guard from now on.