Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

07. The Famous Charlotte

Every year, the executive members of Remington gather on a family weekend getaway at the end of summer. I'm not sure what was the story behind it, but it has become a tradition in the past ten years. It's a bit special this time because they are celebrating the new company name that was officially completed a couple of months ago: Remington Knight Group.

I didn't attend the family gathering last year even though I was already with Ashton. I wasn't ready to mingle with these people, talking about business speculations or rumors that were going around in the building. I felt out of place because I was just a marketing executive; someone who was insignificant. And what makes me even more reluctant to come is that it has become a haven for a clique of stuck-up executive members.

But I can't bail on Ashton this time. He needs his partner and daughter by his side to give a presentation of a successful man with a happy family —not that we pretend to be happy. I just wish they were like my people in ErosBross; not as successful but at least, they're less pretentious.

"Why don't you like those people?" Ashton asked me last night before we went to bed.

"I'm not sure. Maybe it's their need for validation and the tight competition that makes them less laid back. But I'm generalizing here. I always like Daniel Tan. He's one humble man," I replied. "Do you like them? The people in your company?"

He shrugged, saying. "It takes a lot from people to make me like them."

"That's a vague answer."

"I haven't even decided if I should like them or not. It's just business; who cares if we like each other? But I have to agree about Daniel."

I cackled at his response. "That's how people in Knight and co. believe you're an asshole, and you don't give a damn about what they think about you."

"Correct."

This year, they chose the venue at the beach. The company rents the whole villa, but the Knight and Remington families have the privilege of the biggest cabins facing the beach. We're going to have a barbeque party while enjoying the sun going down. Sunset at the beach and unlimited food are my favorite combos. I wish I enjoyed the company too.

Once we arrive at the venue, Ashton brings me and Chloe to greet his colleagues; the people at the executive level. I met most of them back when I was still working for Remington Group, and it's funny how different they act around me now. I used to be just an employee Ashton dated, someone who was replaceable, and now, I'm introduced as their new boss' partner. Life has quite a sense of humor.

To let the adults be adults, the kids have their own space, still under our watch but closer to the playground. They hire two sitters who keep an eye on the children and entertain them but Chloe doesn't see the playground as charming as it used to be. After ten minutes of exploring the area, she finally sits with the rest of the preteen kids on the picnic bench, faces buried in their phones with occasional chats with each other.

"Finally," says a feminine voice from behind me, prompting me to tear my eyes from my girl and turn around to find out who is talking to me. "Mr. Knight has finally decided to bring you. How are you, Ms. Garnett? It's been a while."

"Mrs. Smith, it's a pleasure to meet you. I've been doing great," I reply, forcing a smile at the Chief of Human Resources. I never liked this woman. I thought it was just an employee's instinct to dislike Human Resources team members, for survival reasons, but it's still hard to say if I like her after I left the company last year. "It's good to see faces I recognize. How is it going?"

"The usual. Busy." She smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes. "Especially after Mr. Knight managed to get the partner position. A lot of adjustments need to be made."