Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Vitamin B5 also known as pantothenic acid works alongside the other B complex vitamins to breakdown fat and carbohydrates into energy with an emphasis of complementary function with vitamin B2 or Riboflavin. Vitamin B5 also plays a critical role in the manufacturing of red blood cells, sex and stress hormones while working within the body to maintain a healthy digestive tract. Deficiency of Vitamin B5 is a rare occurrence given it is found in a variety of fruits, vegetables, and meats, but characteristic symptoms of a deficiency are depression, irritability, insomnia, stomach pains, vomiting, as well as the potential to develop a condition known as paresthesia, an affliction commonly referred to as experiencing pins and needles in the feet, legs, arms, or fingers. As mentioned above Vitamin B5 is ever present in a multitude of natural sources, some of the most common being, avocado, broccoli, corn, cauliflower, split peas, soybeans, sunflower seeds, chicken, duck, turkey, liver, kidney, milk, eggs, and whole grain breads and cereals. Taking an excessive amount of Vitamin B5, that is beyond the recommended daily intake could result in diarrhea and increased bleeding. It is important before beginning a supplementary regiment with the vitamin to consult your doctor as it is known to have adverse reactions with the antibiotic tetracycline, as well as with various drugs used to treat Alzheimer's disease such as Donepezil/Aricept, Memantine hydrochloride/Ebixa, Galantamine/Reminyl, and Rivastigime /Exelon.