seven

<3 <3 <3

I'm already sitting in the library, at our usual table when Aurora arrives. Her long dark hair is down, cascading around her shoulders. She stops when she spots me, eyes wide. She looks so small standing there, bag on her shoulder, hands wringing together in front of her. The sleeves of her sweater are pulled down. Her skirt stops at her mid thigh. She looks pristine and perfect.

"Aurora," I say softly, just watching her.

Her throat moves with a swallow. "Hi, George."

Clearing my throat, I pull her seat out for her. A silent gesture for her to come closer. She does so without hesitation, walking around the table and sitting in her seat beside me. She drops her bag beside her and doesn't get her books out yet. She ducks her head, long hair blocking her face from my view.

"Aurora?"

A soft sigh, "Yes, George?"

"Are you— Can we—"

She looks up at me then, eyes all gentle and bright. She smiles a little. "Thank you for yesterday. For being so kind. I really needed that."

"Thank you for letting me help you."

Sitting up a little straighter, she bends down to retrieve her notebook from her bag. She sets it on the table in front of us, opening it to where we left off. She clears her throat before diving into teaching me the topic. I listen carefully today. Content to make her happy in the one way I know how.

Of course, I do get distracted sometimes. When she reaches her hand up to tuck her hair behind her ear. When her eyes narrow in thought, a furrow forming between her brows. When her knee brushes my leg, however unintentional. I do my best to minimise those distractions though.

She asks her questions. I answer them. She gives me her proud smiles. My heart soars in my chest.

"Aurora?" I ask, when she's flipping the page, pausing her train of thought for a moment.

She meets my gaze, "Yes, George?"

"Can I walk you to calculus again?"

Smiling, she nods, "You can."

Once the period is up and the bell rings, we pack away our things. Aurora zips her bag closed and holds it in her hand as she stands to her feet. Before I can think twice, I'm reaching for her bag, carefully pulling it onto my own free shoulder.

She stares up at me, lips parted. "Why did you take my bag?"

Shrugging, I look away from her in an attempt to hide my quickly reddening cheeks. "Because I can. Are we going?"

"Well, yes, but—"

I start walking to avoid her questioning. She huffs quietly behind me but catches up, falling into step beside me. Opening the library door for her, she walks out first.

Falling into step beside her, I try not to think about how much I like this. Spending time with her. Walking her to class. Carrying her bag for her.

"Before next Tuesday, can you please read the next two chapters?" Aurora asks. "There's a test coming up, so I want you to be caught up on everything by then, okay?"

"Okay." I nod. Then frown, "Once I'm caught up, you're still going to tutor me, right?"

"Yes, I assume so. If you still need me to."

"I do." I tell her maybe too quickly.

We arrive at her class and she stops beside the door, looking up at me. I hand her bag back to her and she slips it onto her shoulder, looking amused by me.

"I'll see you on Tuesday then?" She tilts her head at me, smile so pretty.

"Tuesday." I confirm, lips tugging down in disappointment. That's a very long time to wait.

She bites down on her bottom lip, still smiling. Rocks up onto the tips of her toes then back down again. Steps back, waving to me before she disappears into her classroom.

I stay standing there for a moment, lingering in the scent of her perfume. 

~ Pink Flamingo <3