46

Word count: 1816

~Aven

Looking out the window, I admire the lush forest, trees and undergrowth growing wonderfully.

Despite how cold it is, I like it here. I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to wander outside, it's awfully peaceful, and knowing Stace and I are the only souls around here for possibly miles is strangely invigorating.

"How long are we staying here for?" I ask, turning back around to Stace. He's anxious, deep in thought as he considers the reality of my mother having returned from wherever she was hiding.

"Not long. I wouldn't consider exploring, there isn't much out there you want to see," Stace warns, making me shiver.

"Who rules here?"

"I don't know. I only come here when I'm desperate, and I've never been disturbed," he tells me. I wonder how many places he has that he can flee to on a whim. I envy his ability to transport from one place to the other, and I know I'm going to take advantage of that in the future. And now I'm more curious than ever to know the political system of this Territory.

"We need to come up with a plan. We can't just sit around here forever and wait for time to pass," I say, turning back around.

Stace looks grim. It would be easy to stay in a place like this and pretend like we don't have return and deal with all our issues, but I know there is no escaping this.

"Of course not," he murmurs, moving the stand by the fire, warming himself as it continue to rain heavily outside. "Your mother is powerful. We can't go in there and not expect something bad to happen. We need to be careful."

"I need my powers to be in check," I sigh, looking down at my hands, as if I can see my power hidden underneath.

If I were able to have full control of my powers, I wouldn't have to fear my mother. I wouldn't have to fear anyone.

"Try the fireplace." Stace motions to the blazing fire, flames licking tauntingly upward.

On instinct, I step away, unnerved. The thought of having to tap into that part of myself is terrifying. Last time, I nearly caught myself on fire, and before that, I caught other people on fire. And now, the last thing I want is to catch this beautiful cabin on fire, or either Stace or I. If that happens, how will I be able to ever use my powers again?

"I shouldn't...Not when I'm feeling horrible like this." My emotions are all over the place, thanks to my mother.

Stace motions for me to come stand next to him. "That's exactly when you should practice. Learn how to control those feelings."

Warily, I stride forward, the warmth of the fire enveloping me as I let Stace take my hands. The moment our skin touches, a sense of calm comes over me. He grounds me, centring my mind on what is in front of me, instead of everything going on outside of this cabin.

I'm going to do this.

Letting go of Stace, I step back, resting my palm out. We both stare at it, as if fire may explode from it. Both time's I've used my powers, they have seem to come out of nowhere, controlled by nothing. And now, I'm willing that power to come from myself, isolated only to my hand, hoping it will show itself in whatever form it can.

At first, nothing happens. I'm just staring at my palm like a fool.

Closing my eyes, I let Stace's nearby presence consume me, willing away any thoughts of my mother, of my father. And sure enough, my hand starts to warm.

My eyes fly open, to see my veins have turned black, my skin starting to glow with the softest golden hue. In panic, I close my fist, looking up at Stace with widened eyes."