Ch.7

A/N: Happy reading~❤️✨

---------------------------------------------------------

Now on your way through the halls with the Count, you quickly fix your hair, ensuring it covers your little scars properly. You don't want anyone to notice the little scars on your neck, because you don't want to be asked a lot of questions. And you don't want anyone to be worried. It looked like it worked because of how close you and Alaric were before, and he didn't ask anything. Thank God he didn't notice at all.

As you walked, some guards that were patrolling halted as they saw the Count and gave a quick bow as they saw the Count passing by them, with you behind him and a Knight of status behind your back. Also, you believe the Knight behind you is the Head Knight of the Castle, as of how close he is with the Count, and that you saw him there at the hall the first time you arrived. Even his attire is different than an average knight.

And you arrived at a door. Two guards guarded outside gave a quick bow and one of them opened the door. You follow the Count inside but you notice the Knight behind you don't. He's waiting outside. You then walked inside, looked around the room. You were amazed by the Count's study room. The study room is spacious, with high bookshelves, some maps on a wall, a fireplace, and... an owl in a cage.

"He's hard to tame." The Count said. He noticed your attention to the owl. "But make a good messenger." The Count somehow looked proud but... then his expression changed.

"Then, why didn't Your Grace use him as the messenger to the caravan before?" You can't help but ask.

"I did." He said. "But he was injured. Someone... injured him." 

You frowned. You looked at the owl, and noticed a white bandage around his left wing. No... that's not a wing. There is no wing on his left. It's his body.

"He went missing two weeks ago. And when I found him... He can't no longer fly." You can hear the Count's sad tone. You can't believe it. How could they do this to the beautiful bird?

"Have you had your rest, child?" The Count's question took you aback, changing the topic.

"Yes..?"

"You travel for two nights. That must be tiring." He said as he walked near the fireplace.

"I am well, My Lord." You followed him from behind. "It's nothing to compare to your journey and duty." You said as you carefully tried to put nice words in Latin. You don't want to offend him. You might know Alaric at least a little to have a laugh with him but not the Count. How will you dare to say that you are tired while The Counts himself travel non-stop from the borders and still want to have a conversation with you after arriving?

"Alaric do say you are smart." 

Huh?

"Have a seat child." The Count sits as he shows the chair opposite of him to you.

You obeyed as you seat near a fireplace at a chair, sitting across the Count with a small table placed between you and the Count. To your surprise, you could see the steam coming out of the teapot and two cups on the small table, as if already prepared for this. And some sweet too. The maids must have prepared this beforehand. You felt the Count's gaze on you that you don't even dare to move an inch.

"Has the King summoned you?"

You can feel your heart almost skip it's beat out of fear. Right, the King. He too in this castle.

"No, Your Grace. I don't recall being summoned by the King." You answer. The Count nods.

"But it's weird." The Count said. "His Majesty came all the way here after he heard there's a survivor." The Count said as he looked at you. Your eyes widened. Wait, what?