8.6 • It Was A Tragedy

That night Iram was sitting in the living room and studying. She had a giant book opened in her lap and a neon marker in her hand. She could hear distant voices of owl and other night creatures. There was an eery silence surrounding the house.

Arzaan was at the office, working on an upcoming deal. He had informed her that he won't return before the dawn.

She was alone in the house. Alishba and her Dadi left in the morning to attend a relative's wedding. Other servants returned home in the evening. There was only a watchman outside.

It was past midnight when she got tired and closed her books. Iram was about to head upstairs when she heard some noise. A noise of door opening.

“It must be Arzaan.” She thought and went to the door.

“Arzaan, you came early-” She gasped seeing that it wasn't Arzaan but a masked man. Before she could react and run away, she was hit on her head by the burglar and everything went blank in front of her eyes.

💞💞💞

Iram slowly opened her eyes and found herself lying in Arzaan's bedroom. Her head was bursting with pain.

Oh, she remembered being hit on her head.

She closed her eyes again. Trying to not focus on the pain. So she focused on the sound of air conditioner and the cool air hitting her skin.

The door opened and Arzaan entered the room with a cup of coffee in his hand. She quickly opened her eyes, “Arzaan...”  She uttered his name weakly.

Arzaan had almost dropped his coffee hearing her voice. He ran towards her, put the cup on the side table and cupped her face, “Iram, thank God, you woke up.”

“I was unconscious for how long?” She asked with a soft frown.

“For three days. You were lying unconscious on the floor when I reached home around three in the morning.”

“What had happened? Who was that masked man?” She asked.

“It was the watchman. He stole the two antique vases kept in the living room. He is on a run. Police is after him.”  Arzaan sighed.

Iram nodded. She didn't want to ask further so she said, “I'm hungry.”

“I'll make something for you.”  Saying so he picked his cup of coffee and left the room.

Half an hour later, he returned with a plate of toasts and a glass of orange juice for her. Arzaan was feeling guilty for giving her such a plain meal but that's what he could prepare. It was past midnight and he didn't want to disturb Alishba.

Iram would take a bite of the toast and then sip the orange juice to gulp it down. When she finished the food, he tucked her in again so she could rest.

His attention was overwhelming for her. She had her eyes closed when he laid down on the other side of the bed. It was hard to pretend to be sleeping, so she opened her eyes again. But Arzaan was asleep by then.

“He must be exhausted.” She mumbled and closed her eyes again, trying to fall asleep.

💞💞💞

The next morning, Alishba came running to meet her. After crying for straight ten minutes she helped Iram with the bath and clothes. Arzaaan called the doctor who prescribed medicines and seven days of bed rest to Iram.

“You aren't going to the office?” She asked when they were alone in the room.

“No, I'm on leave.”