The Prologue

A dark origin, a past her future daughter would never know and a bloodline unlike any other.

Fifteen-year-old Donna Chandler had done it this time. She'd messed up before, but nothing like this.

Her eyes widened as she gazed at the stripe of white plastic that was clamped between her fingers. She could feel her last meal rise in the depth of her stomach. It mixed with panic and dread for the near future. Beads of sweat hovered across her forehead and coated the palms of her hand making the pregnancy test almost slip through her fingers as her hands trembled like fallen leaves. She stared at the tiny letters inside the little window of the container. She didn't think it could be possible. Not her. Not at her age, and certainly not by him!

Panic began to set in and she could feel her heartbeat quicken from its usual steady beat to racing so loud and so fast that even the sound made her headache. Nausea grew inside her. She placed the test strip on the side of the white bath and took a sip of water to steady her stomach.

One daft mistake didn't make her stupid. She was far from it. But the idea of telling her parents was something she knew she had to do. No matter the consequences. Life or death, if the truth must stay a secret. Never to be revealed. This was her life and something that would always be kept in the dark.