Shadows of Curiosity

The days in Silverwood stretched lazily, a serene dance of moments that I had quickly grown accustomed to. The gentle rustle of leaves from the weeping willow outside my window, the distant laughter of children playing, and the occasional chiming of a bicycle bell created a soothing rhythm that became the backdrop of my new life.

The next week marked the start at Silverwood High School, a transition that was nerve-wracking. Nobody wanted to be the new kid that came in the middle of the year. 

Morning light filtered through my curtains, casting a soft, golden glow across my room. It was the middle of the school year, a time when friendships had already formed and routines were well-established. I couldn't help but feel a pang of apprehension as I prepared for my first day at Silverwood High School, knowing that I was stepping into a world where connections had already been woven, where I was the outsider trying to find my place.

My fingers brushed against the worn pages of my journal as I sat at my desk, a sense of nostalgia tugging at my heart. I had always been the new kid, a reality that had become a constant in my life due to my parents' frequent relocations. But this time felt different. Silverwood wasn't just another town; it was a place intertwined with my family's history, a place where the moonlight held secrets and the very air seemed to hum with magic.

As I glanced out of my window, I caught sight of the sun rising above the horizon, casting a warm glow over the rooftops. It was a new day, a fresh start, and despite my trepidation, there was a spark of excitement that stirred within me. With a deep breath, I closed my journal and made my way to my closet, choosing an outfit that blended comfort with a touch of my own style—a cozy sweater, jeans, and a necklace that my grandmother had given me, a delicate silver crescent moon.

I trudge down the sidewalk and through the misty fog that seemed to envelop the town. This was the middle of the school year, a time when friendships were well-formed and routines were firmly established, making my entry into the social landscape feel like an intruder stepping in to ruin everyone's good time.

My footsteps carried me along the bustling sidewalk, kids my age grouped together, glancing at me and whispering, until I reached the entrance of Silverwood High School. It looked like a stereotypical school that you would see in a movie. The red brick exterior was clean and bright. The grass was expertly manicured while the flowers bloomed bright.

Is this place even real? Where's the trash on the ground and the graffiti on the side of the building?

Inside the school, the hallways pulsed with life. Students navigated their way to classes, laughter and conversations echoing against the walls. I could feel my cheeks flush as I walked alone. I followed the flow of the crowd trying to find the main office.

 The office was small; a little waiting area with chairs, a dark grey colored carpet that almost looked soft, notices and awards cluttered the walls, a big clock on the wall ticked loudly. Right in front of the chairs was a long counter, cluttered with wire baskets full of papers and brightly colored flyers taped to its front. There were three desks behind the counter, one of which was manned by a svelte, black-haired woman wearing glasses. She was wearing a blue satin top and beige slacks. I tried to straighten out the oversized t-shirt I had on feeling incredibly undressed.

The woman looked up. "Can I help you?"

"Hi. I'm Aurora Whitmore," I said in a barely audible whisper.

"Of course," she said, digging through a precariously stacked pile of documents on her desk till she found the ones she was looking for. "I have your schedule right here, and a map of the school." She brought several sheets to the counter.

She handed me my class schedule, explaining what the various columns meant and highlighted all of the rooms I would need to go to in various colors which she had a key for.

 "Thanks."

"Have a good first day," she said, a small smile on her lips.

I nodded and headed back into the now empty hallway.

As I entered the English classroom, my heart raced. The teacher greeted me with a warm smile and introduced me to the class. 

"Everyone, please welcome Aurora Whitmore. She's new."

"You think?" a blonde girl sitting in the back said. 

"Enough Amber. Be polite."

She whispered to her friends and I knew my face was turning red. I offered a shy smile and took a seat near the back, feeling the weight of curious eyes on me. 

The minutes ticked by, and as the bell rang, signaling the end of class, I gathered my belongings and headed out into the hallway.

"Hi! Aurora?" a tall, muscular guy asked.

He had an incredibly goofy grin that put me at ease. 

Finally, a friendly face.

"Hi. You can call me Rory. Please."

"Right. Rory. I like it. That's different."

"Yeah."

"Where you heading?"

"Um, biology?"

"Oh! That's my class. I can walk you there! I'm Joe, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, Joe."

"What brings  you to little ol' Silverwood?"

"An unfortunate set of circumstances," I mumbled.

"Huh?" he asked, looking incredibly confused.

Sighing, I knew I would be asked this question at least 20 more times. "My parents are archeologists. They were offered a two year contract on a dig in Egypt. They didn't want me to miss out on all of this wonderful teenage stuff, so I got shipped here."

"That's super cool! Wow. Have they found stuff?"

"Yeah. They found some tomb last year which is why they were offered the contract for two years. They're excavating it more."

"My dad's an accountant." He chuckled while running one of his hands through his tousled black hair. 

"That's respectable."

"Here we are! Biology."

"Oh my God, Joe. How nice of you to show the new girl around. You are so kind!" Amber, the girl from our English class said, running her hand up and down Joe's arm. "Isn't he just the sweetest?"

"Sure. It was nice of him to show me to class."

I walked past them to the teacher. I handed him my schedule and, thankfully, he didn't feel the need to do the forced introductions.

"You can sit in the back next to Aiden. Mr. Blackwood, please wave."

I saw a hand shoot up from one of the lab desks at the very far back. Keeping my head down, I tried to avoid everyone's stares. Until I got to the table and saw a tall, lean, but still muscular guy sitting in his seat. His golden hazel eyes flicked up to me briefly and he flashed a slight smile. He looked like a younger version of Henry Cavill. 

Of course they have someone this gorgeous in this school.

"Hi," he said, his voice deep and soft.

"Uh."

"You want to sit? I don't bite."

"Oh, yeah. Thanks." 

I slid into the seat, trying to get my heart to stop beating so fast.