Chapter Thirty Six

"We ran as if to meet the moon." -Robert Frost

Memory Lane: Chapter Thirty Six

In order for all of the preparations for the party tonight to be done in time, Quinn had to get ready and head to the Inn before the rest of us. Kendall was beyond bummed that Quinn wasn't able to get ready  with the two of us. Quinn also asked the rest of us to try and get there early, slightly panicked that she couldn't do it all herself in time.

So, with the last of our makeup done, hair complete, and dresses zipped up, Kendall and I begin making our way downstairs where Allen and Jesse have been waiting for the last half hour.

Before we leave my room, though, Kendall stops us to take one final look in the mirror hanging off of my bedroom closet. Kendall's open-back silk, milky white dress contrasts the midnight black of mine and it somehow makes both of our dresses look even better than they did fresh out of the store. Even the pink backdrop of my room can't take away from how good we look. If I never get a prom or homecoming, this moment right here will be enough.

Kendall smiles wide at our reflection, gripping my arm with a sense of giddiness. "We look..." 

"Amazing."

Our heads snap to the left where Allen has his hand up and ready to knock on the opened door, attention drawn instantly to his girlfriend.

She blushes, running to the door to attempt to shut it. "Why are you up here? You were supposed to wait downstairs!"

"You look... wow," Allen says, shaking his head as he walks closer to her. "Quinn started blowing up our phones and asked where we were and- just, wow."

Kendall's cheeks flush and she ducks her head, letting her long black hair fall to cover her face. Not wanting to intrude on their moment (and feeling slightly awkward just standing here as they stare lovingly at each other), I squeeze past Allen on my way out the door.

"Just a friendly reminder," I say before fully exiting the room, "My bed is off limits, Allen's room is right down the hall, and we've got to go soon."

They both send a dismissive wave towards me to at least let me know that they heard me, but they're still engrossed in each other. I begin my descent down the stairs where I can only assume Jesse still is, dodging all of the creaky steps to avoid attention being drawn my way. He's sitting on the armrest of the couch scrolling on his phone. My heart does a few flips at how handsome he is. He's wearing a solid black suit, sharp-looking and extremely well-fitted. It almost makes me nervous, how good he looks.

When his eyes shift from his phone to me and he does a doubletake, it's a little bit magical. The way he immediately stands up, hand to his chest and gray eyes glued to me. He steps towards me almost urgently before calming himself and smoothing his hand over his suit.

He takes mine delicately in his as I do a small spin. Pulling me closer, he takes in a sharp breath and lets it out slowly. "You are beautiful, Laura."

If this is his reaction to this dress, it makes me wonder how he would have reacted to the sweet maroon dress had it not had the slit in it.

I shake that thought away. "You look amazing, too."

His fresh laundry scent washes over me, intoxicating me as he dips his head down to kiss me. Like yesterday, when trying on that beautiful dress a part of me still longs for, I once again feel like a normal teenage girl going to a dance with her boyfriend. For the moment his lips are on mine; nothing hurts.