Chapter 42- Connor

I didn't speak to Sadie for the rest of that day, but the next morning I messaged her. I had to tell her I was going soon. My parents and I had arranged everything, and I would be leaving in less than a week.

Connor: Morning

Sadie: Morning

Connor: How you?

I cringed when I read that, it sounded so formal. So not Sadie and I. The usual Sadie and I.

Sadie: Ok. You?

Connor. Me too. I have something to tell you.

Sadie: What?

Connor: I decided to take the scholarship. I'm going to be leaving soon.

Sadie: Soon?

Connor: Yes, I thought it was best. We can have some space. Like you want.

Sadie: Wait, don't do it just for me.

Connor: No. I'm not. I want to do this.

Sadie: When are you leaving?

Connor: On Thursday.

Sadie: Wait! That's four days away. Seriously? You're going now?

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a rapid movement and looked out the window as Sadie pulled her curtain back, hard. She just stood there staring at me. I couldn't make out her face well enough to tell how she was feeling. She looked down at her hands and started typing again.

Sadie: So soon?

My heart felt like it was being ripped out of my chest.

Connor: Yes. So soon.

Sadie looked up at me again. The feelings from all the way across the yard were totally electric. They reached out across the space between us and filled it to capacity. It was like when we'd kissed the night before, except more extreme. And we weren't even touching each other. I sucked in a breath and tried to steady myself.

Sadie: OK

Connor: Ok what?

Sadie: Okay, you can come over tonight.

My phone dropped out of my hand and landed on the floor with a thud. Our eyes were still locked from across the yard and I felt such a magnitude of emotion between us that it felt like the entire world couldn't contain it. I quickly dropped to the floor and retrieved my phone.

Connor: U sure?

Sadie: I've never been so sure about anything in my life. Come over at midnight.