Chapter 6

BREE

══════════════════

Everything is fine.

There's no reason to panic.

It's not like this is a date, Bree. You're just hanging out.

With minimal clothing.

Wet.

I swallow hard as I open the door.

"Hey!" I say with a smile.

Declan sweeps a hand back through his hair, pushing the white front lock out of his face. He's wearing a grey sleeveless shirt, black swim trunks, and a pair of slip-on sneakers. He has a dark grey towel folded under his arm.

"Hey yourself," he says. "You ready to go?"

"Yeah." I grab my keys and towel off the counter and it occurs to me how silly we must look as a pair: Declan in his monotone look and me in my pink hoodie and shorts, holding a hot pink towel covered in pineapples.

I'm so out of my league here.

I lock the door and we head to the elevator.

"Thanks for doing this," I say.

"Bree, it's really not a favor. I like hanging out with you."

We reach the elevator at the perfect time, just as someone steps out, so we hop on and head up to the roof.

"I like you too." I nearly choke on a cough when I realize my words. "Hanging out with you, I mean. I like hanging out with you. Too."

This is a disaster. If the elevator cable snaps right now, it would be a blessing. I feel like I'm twelve years old again and crushing on the cool older boy next door. Like any minute now he's going to pat me on the head and tell me I'm adorable.

The elevator's ding saves me from my panic spiral and the doors open.

Our building is shorter than most of the surrounding skyscrapers, but there's a split between the buildings that gives us a great view of the downtown skyline. There are benches and a few tables set up for people to hang out, as well as a small garden and two hot tubs in the corners. The whole rooftop is surrounded by glass barriers that prevent anyone from falling off the edges. It's an awesome space, and one of the things that sold me on the building. I imagined coming out here all the time and meeting neighbors or using the hot tubs, but apparently I forgot that I'm a massive introvert who would rather be thrown wholesale off the building than be forced to actually interact with strangers.

But Declan's not a stranger. And it feels nice to be up here with him.

We reach the hot tub and set our things down on a couple of nearby chairs. I start shrugging off my hoodie and I seem to catch his eyes for a moment. They widen before he scrubs a hand over his face and through his hair, shifting his gaze to the ground.

I decided to wear my pink-and-white polka-dot swimsuit. It's a two-piece with a high-waisted bottom and a halter top that is very cleavage-forward. I slip my shorts off and set them aside, shivering slightly as a gust of wind hits me.

It's cool but comfortable out—just cool enough that the hot tub is warm and soothing, but not so cold that the droplets freeze on your skin when you get out.

That's part of why I thought I'd try it out last week, and it probably would have been perfect if that creepy guy hadn't insisted on joining and starting up a conversation with me. And by me, I mean my boobs. The guy barely even attempted to look at my face.