Ch1. A Hot Day

It started with a cake

A cupcake to be exact.

It had been a sweltering hot day in June, the first day that had really proven summer was upon them.

Katniss had joined Peeta in the bakery that day, helping serve customers when he couldn't, in between wiping the sweat from her forehead. It hadn't been very busy though, so she mostly spent her day watching Peeta in his element on the plush chair that overlooked most of the bakery, specifically put there for her.

It was there she sat when the small dark haired girl waddled into the bakery, she hadn't noticed her at first, being too mesmerised by Peeta kneading the dough on the counter, watching each one of his large muscles work as he concentrated hard on the bread at work.

She had only just noticed the little girl as she came right up to the glass refrigerated cabinet showcasing the cakes and pastries in all of their glory.

Peeta noticed her soon after herself, smiling warmly to the little girl who could not have been over the age of two. "Hi there sweetie, did you want a cake?" His voice was soft and gentle, just like it was when he spoke to any young kids.

The small girl nodded pointing her tiny little finger over to the display cupcakes. All of them were beautiful, being designed by Peeta of course. Each of them had varying patterns, colours and swirls that made all of them unique in their ways, though they held a certain quality to them that could only be achieved by Peeta.

Peeta smiles, wiping his hands dry on his apron, "you want a cupcake?" He asks her, leaning over the counter to see her.

It's then that I realise that this small child doesn't have an adult with her, no parent has come rushing in after this small girl who probably saw the bakery and took off running.

"Peeta" I start, capturing his attention, "she doesn't have a parent with her" I tell him, the worry rising up in my voice, if I was this child's mother I would probably be having a panic attack at this very moment, stressing over losing my child that is so small and having no idea where she has gone.

He frowns his brows knit tight in concentration, "someone will probably be in soon" he reassures me moving around the counter to meet the child, who was still pointing up to the display of cupcakes babbling what sounded like 'cake'.

Peeta crouches down in front of her, "do you want to pick out a cupcake?" The small girl nods excitedly in response causing a huge grin to break out onto Peeta's face.

He stands back up to his full height, lifting her up with him. He brings her over to the cupcakes, lifting the lid up to let her pick one out.

After thoughtfully pondering her choices she eventually picks a green one, decorated with dozens of piped swirls.

"Good choice, that's Katniss' favourite colour" he points over to me making me blush. Even after fifteen years of friendship, ten of which being married, it was amazing how much he could still make me feel like a giddy teenage girl having her first crush on a boy.

The small girl looks over to me cocking her head as she takes me in, probably only just noticing I was in the room. Still in his arms Peeta leans in close to her ear whispering into it, though still loud enough for me to hear, "that's Katniss, she's my wife and the most amazing person I've ever met."

I roll my eyes, there he goes again telling anyone and everyone about me, even this small child.

She watches me with curious eyes as Peeta speaks to her, continuing to lick the icing off her cupcake. Eventually after finishing it, Peeta drops her down to the floor, watching as she waddles over to me.