Part Fourteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Renato smiled to himself; somewhere over the years, he'd adopted more than he'd care to admit of Vittorio's lifestyle. He relaxed in limited spurts, usually with a communication device nearby. Sitting here with Leilani, enjoying her company, it was a first. The women he'd consorted with were more interested in boosting their profile; they wanted dates in exclusive restaurants and to be seen with him at appropriate red-carpet events. Sitting idly, watching a sunset just for the pleasure of it, wouldn't have been high on any of their lists, which, at the time, had suited him fine.

"Are you having a good time?" he asked casually, stroking her arm.

"I feel wonderfully relaxed," she lied. Despite the drinks they'd shared, she was acutely aware of him; of this, he was certain. The evening was warm, yet goose-bumps revealed her reaction to his feathery touch, her uneven breath and her rigid posture were giveaways.

He pressed his open mouth against her cheek and breathing out slowly, caressed a path down the side of her neck, savouring along the way. She shivered and turned her mouth towards his, and he didn't hesitate to fulfil her desire. The kiss, slow and sensual, built with fervour. Demanding more, her hands grew bolder while her body twisted to get closer to him. Her lids looked heavy, lust and alcohol half-closing them, "Look at me," he demanded, wanting to be sure that she was with him willingly.

Her eyes widened, and as he held her gaze, he lowered himself towards her breasts, his lips pressing against the modest swell above her dress line. Fingering the material, he stretched it and the lace below to allow his mouth access to more of her flesh and her rosebud nipple.

She pushed him back in denial, her body simultaneously betraying her with a soft moan. Renato had only ever had very willing bed partners, and Leilani would be no different. He journeyed one hand up her thigh, her skin so soft and enticing, he hardened painfully at the thought of reaching and removing the lace or satin barrier that would be in place.

She stilled his hand with hers and struggled to sit upright. "I'm sorry; I just can't," she muttered unevenly.

He looked up at her in disbelief. Her flesh was ready for him; he knew it with certainty. "I want you, and I know your body is ready for mine. Tell me what you want me to do. All I want is to give you pleasure," he murmured, his voice soft and reassuring that he wanted her in his bed.

"I'm just not ready for this, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let things progress like this," she averted her eyes.

She was serious, and it made no sense, but he was not shy about finding out the issue. "What's bothering you, Leilani? Is it that we haven't known each other long enough? I know it isn't from my lack of attention; we are to be wed this weekend, so you know I'll be sticking around," he pushed.

Leilani could feel herself glowing with embarrassment, not knowing where to start or what to say. "It's not that. I'm just— it's just... well..." pausing, she finally got it out. "I'm not altogether experienced," she rushed, looking anywhere but at him.

Renato used a light touch to turn her face towards him. "What exactly are you saying? That you are a virgin, and you've never made love before? I don't require you to be untouched, and I have to say I'd find it hard to believe at your age." His puzzled smile only made her feel worse. She should have just got on with it; why had she stopped him?

Knotted up she uttered, "Not exactly."

"So you are not a virgin? Then how inexperienced could you be?" he questioned.

"Relatively," she said. He was looking frustrated with her lack of clarification. "What I mean is that I haven't had much experience sexually; really, I had to go out and pay for it." She hoped he would get her meaning. Saying it was just too embarrassing.