(I can't think of a title)

"I love your outfit." A girl said she was tapping on my shoulder, behind me in line at Barnes and Noble.

"Oh-um. Thanks." I replied, stuttering a little bit.

"Mhm," she acknowledged.

I glanced over at her after she ordered her coffee at the Starbucks inside the store

She had curly hazelnut brown hair with honey blonde highlights and lobelia blue eyes.

She was wearing a caramel brown cashmere sweater, a tight black mini shirt, thin grey tights, and knee-high heeled boots. She finished off the outfit with a small black leather Dior saddle bag with gold hardware and a "D" hanging directly from the middle.

We made eye contact for a spit second, which gave her the courage to walk over to me.

She smiled and said, "Do you want to sit with me?" grabbing her coffee

"Sure." I said quickly. (Maybe a little too fast.)

She pulled one of the wood chairs out for me and allowed me to sit first.

"Thanks." I muttered.

She pulled out her chair and sat next to me, placing both elbows on the table and her hands on her rosy cheeks.

"Sooo. What's your name?" She inquired.

"Annie." I said it softly.

"Rebecca." She whispered.

I started to pick at my nails under the table.

"Fuck." I suspected under my breath.

"Excuse me?" She leaned over to see what happened.

I had picked my nail a little too short, and it started bleeding.

"Ouch. Hold on." She placed her bag on the table and pulled out a fingertip bandage.

"Here." She handed it over to me.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Did you pick up any good books?" She asked.

I pulled out one of the five books I got, "She gets the girl" by one of my favorite authors, Rachel Lippincott.

"Oh, that's a good one! I got one of her books too."

She pulled out "Five feet apart" and handed it over to me.

"This has been on my list to read."

I handed it back over to her I read the back and thumbed through the pages before handing it back over to her.

We started to talk about school and assorted hobbies.

I asked her if she played any sports, and she said, "I play tennis. I know I just met you, but I was wondering if you wanted to come to my match. It's this Saturday at 10."

"Sure," I replied. It's not like I had any plans other than reading the stack of books I had just purchased.

"Really?!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah. Of course." I laughed

"Tennis is one of my favorite sports. I just...well, suck at it." I continued.

"I could show you what I know sometime." She mentioned.

"That sounds nice." I smiled softly at her.

We both stared at each other for a few seconds.

"Oh, can I get your number?" She asked.

"Why not." I snickered.

We exchanged numbers, and I realized the time.

I had a Zoom meeting in 30 minutes, so we said our goodbyes.

"I'll see you Saturday." I winked before walking out the door with my half-finished gingerbread-flavored iced coffee and a bag of assorted lesbian romance books that had been on my list to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

546 words

I think I'm going to write a part 2 to this!
What do you guys think?!
Thank you for reading:)