03. To Fall Flat

"You think what?" The ice in Mr Ambrose's voice was cold enough to freeze the Caribbean.

"We, um, think Adaira might want to go after Captain Carter more, um...directly. So we think she might use her male disguise to join the British Army to be shipped to India and—"

The rest of my sentence was cut off by Mr Rikkard holding up one finger. Apprehensively, I watched as he whirled around and stalked out of the hotel room where he, Berty and I were staying. There was a crash from the next room, as if someone had punched a hole into the nearest wall. A moment later, Mr Ambrose stalked back into view.

From his crib, Berty had been watching the whole process with great interest. When my husband noticed, he reached out and gently, almost tenderly, placed his hand against his son's cheek. Berty responded to this by grabbing his thumb and nibbling on it. The sight put a smile on my face. It only lasted for a moment, though. When the moment passed, he stepped back, and his face was serene and peaceful. But the look in his eyes... It was anything but.

"I am calm now."

And you're a good father, I wanted to say. But I knew that right now wasn't the time.

"Good." I nodded. "Then let's get back to the subject."

"Adaira." A certain muscle in his cheek twitched. "Dressed as a male. Entering the military." He didn't say "We have to do something—right now!" It didn't really need to be said.

"Well..." Deep in thought, I tapped my lower lip. "This might not be a bad thing."

"Indeed?" It was quite impressive how he could still surprise me with how chilly his voice could get. "Please, do explain how my little sister being in the front lines of a foreign battlefield is a good thing. I am all ears."

"No! No, that's not what I mean! I...fiddlesticks!" Taking a deep breath, I started again. "What I mean is that we found where Captain Carter was shipped to by asking at the army headquarters, right? So, now that Adaira has joined the army as well—"

Mr Ambrose's eyes went wide. "—we just have to find out where she was sent!"

"Exactly! That's what I—"

Those were the only words I got out before I found myself enveloped in a vice-tight hug and my mouth was sealed by a pair of fervent lips. He bent me backwards and held me like that for...how long? A moment? An hour? It felt like an eternity and yet, far, far too short for my taste. When he finally broke the kiss, I found myself gasping for breath.

"You," Mr Rikkard Ambrose told me, "are amazing."

Oh my. Maybe I should encourage Adaira to run away more often.

From the side, Berty clapped his pudgy hands and made happy baby noises, clearly agreeing with my brilliant idea.

"So...the place where Adaira was shipped to." Thoughtfully, he stroked his chin. "Where could we find out something like that?"

"Oh..." I smiled. "I think I have an idea."

Five minutes later, we were standing in front of a familiar building with a red-golden flag of a crowned lion atop a crown. And, underneath that flag, stood a red-coated figure with a pelt hat who was even more familiar, even though, last time we met, he didn't have his arm in a sling. The moment the poor guard noticed our approach, he gave a startled squeak and turned to run away—only to stop abruptly as he remembered that he was supposed to be standing guard here. For a moment, he stood frozen like that, his survival instincts and the sacred duty to his queen warring in his eyes.

That moment spelled his doom.

"Karim?" spoke Mr Ambrose.

"Yes, Sahib?"