Chapter 10

From that day forth, Louise was consumed by her promise. Her naturally warm and lively spirit dimmed like a candle flame as she withdrew into her studies, speaking only when necessary and forming no new attachments. Though still surrounded by her classmates, an invisible barrier now separated Louise from them. Her grief ran deep, compounded by guilt. She feared letting anyone else grow close, only to lose them to her seeming ill fortune. It was easier to go through life alone. So, Louise focused on her lessons with quiet intensity, becoming the top student almost overnight. Yet her achievements felt hollow.

By age nineteen, Louise had grown into a solemn young woman. Rarely was a smile seen to grace her lovely face anymore. She declined social invitations, ate alone, and took long solitary walks, habitually dressed in dull colours.

Most tragic was the warmth in Louise's eyes that had vanished. Once vibrant, they were now dull. It seemed the day she lost Mary, a part of Louise's soul had perished as well. Louise finished her studies, having learned skills in reading, arithmetic, scripture, French, German, and all manner of household accomplishments. She spoke French and German fluently, excelling in every ladylike pursuit. Louise took no joy in her intellectual gifts, only steely purpose. She devoted herself solely to the promise made over Mary's casket - becoming a governess.

The tutors and fellow students mourned the loss of Louise's joyful spirit. But she remained unreachable, locked in her melancholy prison, convinced this was her punishment for leaving Mary alone. While still kind, Louise kept everyone at arm's length. She could not chance further pain. But sometimes at night, lying awake in the darkness, Louise's stoic facade cracked. She let the tears fall silently, missing her dear friend and the girl she used to be. Both lost forever, or so she believed.

Five long years had passed since Mary's untimely death. In that time, Louise had transformed into an entirely different woman. Gone was the warm, lively girl who once laughed freely. In her place stood a solemn stranger. By twenty-two, Louise secured a position instructing languages at Creekwood School. She taught with quiet capable dedication, yet there was an air of remove about her. Rarely was a flutter of emotion seen to cross her stoic face.

One morning, Louise was summoned to Headmaster Caldwell's study. Upon entering, she greeted him in her usual detached monotone. He gestured for her to take a seat across from him. "Good morning, Miss Louise. I trust you are well this morning?" he inquired, his gaze studying her carefully.

Louise took a careful seat, balancing on the edge of the offered chair her back straight as a rod. "I am well, Headmaster. Thank you for asking." Her voice was like the chill wind of winter, carrying an icy detachment that seemed to seep into the very air around her.

"You've been a true asset to this institution," he began warmly. "Your students have excelled under your tutelage. You've become a fine, learned woman."

Louise gave the barest nod, hands folded. "I've merely been doing my duty, Headmaster. It is what Mary would have expected of me." Her voice was like the soft rustle of leaves, a distant whisper that barely seemed to register in the air around her.

"Yes, well," he replied, clearing his throat. "Which brings me to why I've called you here today," he continued. "I've a job proposition from an old friend. His acquaintance, a Mr. Warrington, is a widower lawyer with a young daughter. The girl has been attending an inadequate school and Mr. Warrington is desperate to find a governess for her. Someone who can not only educate her in the proper manners and languages, but also instil in her a sense of discipline and dedication."

The headmaster paused, waiting for a response. Louise merely inclined her head slightly, her gaze fixed on a spot somewhere beyond the headmaster's shoulder. "Your skills and experience make you the perfect candidate for the position," he continued. "It would not only be a great opportunity for you to earn a respectable wage, but also to make a difference in a young life. I believe this could be just the fresh start you need."