⸻ EIGHT ⸻

I'm glad to see things aren't weird between Oli and me at work

I'm glad to see things aren't weird between Oli and me at work. He's as easygoing as ever. In fact, the rest of the week is nearly perfect until I manage to screw that up on Friday.

During lunch break, I have the brilliant idea of starting a game of Donkey Kong, since the microwaves are all busy, it sounds like a great way to pass the time. But to my surprise, and to the guys' astonishment, I'm acing it like a boss. And the longer I last, the less willing I am to stop.

The whole hour flies by and Mario is still alive and well on the screen. Shit, I'm actually getting closer and closer to the high scores. From my estimates, I need an extra fifteen minutes to get in the third position, eighteen for the second one, and twenty to end up first.

And frankly, staying late after work to make up for it is a very mild price to pay for such an exploit. Which is why when everyone heads back to work, I'm still there, playing and winning. The guys are back to the Lair, and they know that as soon as I die or get a high score, I'll join them.

Because I'm so absorbed by the game, I barely notice when someone comes near me after a while. "How are you still alive?" Oliver asks, impressed.

I shrug my shoulders, knowing it is mostly due to luck. In such games, skills aren't the only parameter. One wrong succession of barrels and tricks can ruin everything. So far, I haven't had those. Oli isn't the only one interested in seeing me beat the high scores, because one by one, the guys join us in the break room. Mason even comes with a tall glass of water and a straw, which he guides into my mouth so I can hydrate without stopping.

I'm two minutes away from Nammota's lowest score. I can do this. Especially with the nerdy gang acting as cheerleaders around me. They are all rooting for me, and I can't let them down.

"What the hell is this?" a familiarly intimidating voice asks from behind us.

Fuck! No! Not now!

The guys spin around at once to face our audibly angry boss. I somehow find the strength to not look away, hoping they can explain the situation in my stead.

Mason is the first to respond with, "Some bad bitch action."

"Andy is about to beat Nammota's score!" Brian chimes in.

There's a moment of silence, and I wish I could see Alexander's face. I have no idea if he's impressed, angry, unphased, about to fire my ass...

"Does she have to do it during work hours?" he eventually asks, and from the tone, he is definitely angry. Shit.

"She started early during the lunch break," Oliver intervenes. "She hasn't died since. But she said she'll catch up for the lost time."

"This isn't some quaint little democracy where each and everyone can do as they please," our boss says. "You work during work hours, and you relax during your breaks. This machine is here to entertain you, not distract you. If you can't make the difference, it will be removed."