Open your Heart to the Qur'an this Ramadan

By Aisha Iqbal (via Productive Muslim)

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion." [Qur'an: Chapter 2, Verse 185]

This ayah encompasses what the Qur'an is really for: proof and guidance. Once we believe in Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) and the Prophet Mohammed ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him), we look to the Qur'an and sunnah for guidance on how to maximize our good deeds and gain the pleasure of our Creator.

Now think about it: when you want to get close to a person, you try to be there as often as possible to spend quality time with them. You will ensure you catch on to every word they say in order to understand what they are conveying. This example does not do justice as our relationship with Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) is incomparable to that which we have with other human beings; however, when we seek to be close to Him subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) we should focus on spending quality time as often as possible with His Book.

In Ramadan, many of us attempt to do just that. We start Ramadan full of energy and eagerness to remove distractions so we can give our undivided attention to developing our faith and understanding. Some people struggle to find this excitement because they have no idea where to start. Even those who start off zealous see a decline in this enthusiasm as the days go by.

First thing to do about this: you must remember to consistently ask Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) to guide your mind and heart to have a pure understanding of His Words. Equally, it is vital to check and renew your intentions for reading, memorizing and pondering over the Qur'an.

"The deeds are considered by the intentions, and a person will get the reward according to his intention." [Bukhari and Muslim]

This famous hadith is one that provides comfort to those who struggle to grasp the language and/or skill of reciting and understanding of the Qur'an. In sha Allah, with sincere intentions, Allah subḥānahu wa ta'āla (glorified and exalted be He) will help you succeed in your goals and reward you abundantly for them.

When thinking about how we should approach the Qur'an in Ramadan, there are three main areas to focus on: reciting, memorizing and reflecting/internalizing. In this article, we will provide four practical tips to practice in Ramadan under each of these categories.

Reciting

1. Set goals and make a schedule

Everyone's lives are different; some are full-time employees while others are students or stay-at-home parents. Regardless of your circumstances, you should not fall into despair at the idea of "lack of time" to recite the Qur'an. The quality of the time you spend with the Qur'an is far more important than the quantity. That being said, ensure you formulate a schedule that is suitable for what you are occupied with during Ramadan. Have it written down in your diary or displayed on your Ultimate Ramadan Taskinator. Base this around your goals; do you want to complete the entire Qur'an once? Or more? Do you want to focus more on perfecting your tajweed than reciting long portions? Whatever the case may be, having a written plan will help ensure you regularly review and hit these goals, In sha Allah.

2. Be regular

We must be realistic with how much we are able to complete or do, given our own circumstances. However, it is important to remember the following statement:

The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) was asked, "What deeds are loved most by Allah?" He said, "The most regular constant deeds even though they may be few." He added, 'Don't take upon yourselves, except the deeds which are within your ability." [Bukhari]