Chapter 6 Unraveling The Truth

Alex sat at her desk, staring at the evidence board once again. The encounter with Mark had left her with more questions than answers. She couldn't shake the feeling that he was hiding something, but she needed concrete evidence to tie him to Sarah's murder.

Just then, her phone rang, breaking her concentration. It was Jack. "Alex, I think I might know where Mark could be. I overheard some guys at the bar talking about a rundown cabin in the woods where he's been staying."

Alex's heart raced with anticipation. "Thanks, Jack. I'll check it out."

She grabbed her coat and headed to the woods, the crunch of leaves beneath her feet echoing in the stillness of the forest. As she approached the cabin, she could see a faint wisp of smoke rising from the chimney.

She cautiously approached the door and knocked. After a moment, it creaked open, and Mark stood before her, his eyes guarded.

"Mark, I need to talk to you," Alex said firmly.

Mark hesitated but eventually stepped aside, allowing her to enter. The cabin was dimly lit, and the air was heavy with the scent of wood smoke.

"Look, I didn't have anything to do with Sarah's murder," Mark said, his voice tinged with desperation.

Alex studied him carefully. "Then why did you run when I mentioned her name?"

Mark shifted uncomfortably. "I was scared. I didn't want to get involved in something I had nothing to do with."

Alex's gaze didn't waver. "I need to know the truth, Mark. I need to know what happened to Sarah."

Mark sighed heavily and sat down at the rickety table. "I did see her that day, but I didn't give her the plant. I found it in the woods, like I said. But I did see someone else with her."

Alex leaned in, her interest piqued. "Who did you see?"

Mark hesitated, his eyes darting around the room. "I saw her arguing with a man. He was tall, had a scar on his cheek, and he was wearing a distinctive ring with a lion's head."

Alex's mind raced. This was the lead she had been waiting for. "Do you know his name? Have you seen him before?"

Mark shook his head. "I've never seen him before, but I remember his face. It was like he was threatening her."

Alex thanked Mark and left the cabin, her mind buzzing with new information. She knew she had to find this man with the lion's head ring.

Back at the station, she pulled up the database of known criminals and started searching for anyone matching Mark's description. After hours of sifting through records, she finally found a match: Dominic Hayes, a known enforcer for a local crime syndicate.

She immediately called for backup and headed to Dominic's last known address. As she approached the run-down apartment building, she could feel the tension in the air.

She knocked on the door, and after a moment, it swung open to reveal a burly man with a scar on his cheek and a lion's head ring on his finger.

"Detective Carter, what brings you here?" Dominic's voice was laced with arrogance.

"I need to ask you some questions about Sarah Monroe's murder," Alex said, her tone unwavering.

Dominic's eyes narrowed, but he let her in. As they sat down, Alex could feel the weight of the moment. She was finally face to face with a key suspect in the case.

"I didn't have anything to do with that girl's death," Dominic said, his voice low and menacing.

Alex leaned forward. "Mark saw you arguing with her on the day of her murder. He saw the plant that killed her. You have some explaining to do."

Dominic's facade cracked, and he looked visibly shaken. "I didn't mean for things to go that far. She owed us money, and I was just trying to scare her into paying up."

Alex's eyes narrowed. "Scare her with a deadly plant?"

Dominic looked away, his guilt evident. "I didn't know it was poisonous. I just wanted to send a message."

Alex's mind raced with a mix of anger and determination. She had finally found the breakthrough she needed.

As she left the apartment, she knew the case was far from over, but she also knew she was one step closer to bringing Sarah's killer to justice. She was determined to see it through to the end, no matter the obstacles in her path.