SECOND YOUTH

Thandie's excitement mounted. It had been a while since she had done something spontaneous that didn't involve her kids. She looked forward to her date with Cole and put Callum's invitation on hold.

She didn't reply to Callum's question, but the man was patient. A day or two couldn't change his plans, and he still lingered on the high of hearing Thandie call his name out.

Callum missed her passage in front of Bakersfield the next day. It had never happened or didn't occur enough for Callum to note it. Like the day before, the queue was massive.

Callum didn't wonder why there was a sudden hype around his puffs. He hoped Thandie would give him the answer the next time she saw him.

Unfortunately for Callum, Thandie didn't taste them. She gave the chou creams to her colleagues and ignored the compliments they made. She solely focused on her date and waited.

"The cavalry is here," Thiane said, poking her head into Thandie's room before entering.

"Thi, I don't know what to wear. He didn't tell me where we were going."

Thiane came and sat on Thandie's bed, "Did he give a hint?"

"Wear something casual he wrote."

Thiane snapped her fingers, "That means jeans and a hoodie for me. Oh, and sneakers."

Thandie shook her head as if to say nonsense, "That isn't date attire."

"Trust me, I've been on enough dates to know it can. Guys on Oppo usually schedule some activity on the first date. The app advises avoiding the cinema or taking the person to dinner immediately."

"Why?"

"Well, you can't get to know someone while watching movies, and you can't see if your energy matches while eating," Thiane explained.

Thandie slid her gaze to the side, "Says who?"

"Says Oppo studies," Thiane replied. "Sports activities, or any that demand both of you to invest in the date, are the best. One's true nature transpires when playing because most forget their social masks. Whether sore loser or competitive, you'll see it. You also see one's behavior if you're doing something you're not good at. Will the person watch you struggle or help you? It allows you to asses. I agree with that theory. I've been on a few dates where the men cheated or were very condescending when they won."

"How about drinking coffee? What does Oppo say about that?" Thandie asked, thinking about Callum's proposal.

"It would mean three things," Thiane lifted a finger. "He wants a bailout option if it's in a café. Coffees are quick to drink; thus, one can ditch you quicker," she raised another finger. "He wants to sleep with you if he invites you to his place for coffee, and lastly, he's taking baby steps."

"What do you mean?" Thandie needed clarification. She left the dating game when ringtones and dinner were the norm.

Thiane shrugged, "He fears rejection if he asks for something else. He offers coffee so you feel safe or more at ease. It is not an impactful engagement. You're more likely to accept"

Thandie nodded. She guessed Callum was concerned by Thiane's third statement.

"Where is he picking you up?" Thiane asked.

"In front of Noman's off-license. I didn't want him to come here because of the kids."

Thiane widened her eyes at her sister, "Haven't you told them?"

"Told them what?" Thandie said, feigning ignorance.

"Tha, you can't start dating without letting your children know. They'll get the wrong idea and think you're an infidel. Your ex-husband will look like a victim."