~Chapter Three~

Uncle Bill is standing on a stage, talking to the football team and their families.

"It's been a rare privilege, to have lived here as long as I have, coaching your boys. I'll be taking the year off, after which I'll be moving to Loudon and taking the head coaching job at Loudon High."

Protests from the crowd could be heard until Fred Bosley decided to speak up.

"I say boycott. T.C. Williams" He shouts. Another parent encourages Fred to continue

"Tell 'em, Fred!"

"Our boys ain't playing for some Coach Coon"

I watched as Gerry stood up from his seat. "Coach, he stole your job. I'm not playing for him. I started a petition, and I'm sitting this season out"

I straighten my posture as Coach walks up to Gerry, and pats him on the shoulder. "The only place you're going to sit is back in that chair, Gerry. I appreciate it, though."

Fred then stood up, "Boycott T.C.! Boycott the school!"

"Stop this, Fred. You know none of these boys can afford to go to another district. They sit this one out, they put their futures on the line." Uncle Bill tells Fred but then Ray intervenes.

"Coach, I'm out, too. I'm not playing for no thief."

"Don't do this. Don't make this any harder for me than it already is." Coach states but Alan stands up, "Coach, if you go, I go."

I watch as everyone then butts in about how they will only play for my Uncle. I want Uncle Bill to find a good job, somewhere that he is happy, but I don't want to leave my whole life behind.

I shift my gaze, and I notice Alan standing across the room with his family. The room's chatter and chantings fade into the background. A knot forms in my stomach. Alan turns his head, and our eyes meet for a brief second before I break it, turning my attention to Sheryl, who is now standing next to me.

-----

Once the 'press conference' was finished, I decided to hang around at the end and talk to a few of the team members and their families. Midway through the conversation, a firm hand gripped my arm, pulling me away. Glancing to see who it was, I saw that it was Alan.

He led me to the edge of the group. Looking up at him, I ask, "What's wrong?" tilting my head slightly. Alan met my gaze, and after a moment, he let go of my arm.

"Nothing, I-" Alan starts before his mum approaches us.

"Alan, dear, there you are," she said, smiling warmly at the both of us. "Ah! And Y/N, it's nice to see your face again. How have you been?" she says, and then turns to Alan, "Why don't you invite her over anymore?"

Alan goes to answer but Alan's mum cuts him off. Alan sighs, and I let out a small giggle. She shifts our conversation to talk about the football team and what I will do if coach leaves town.

We talk for a few minutes until Coach comes up behind me and tells me that we have to leave. I told him that I'd be ready in a minute.

Alan's mum invited me to their house to have dinner and I looked over at Alan who was shaking his head 'no.' 

I smile at his mum before responding, "I'd love to." Alan puts his head in his hands in embarrassment for the second time today. 

"Good! I'll send Alan to pick you up then" She chirps clinging onto his arm in a motherly way, then ruffling his hair, much to his protest.

I suppress a laugh, "Well, as much as I would like to stay and chat, I've gotta go home. I'll see you later, Alan." I wave to them and make my way over to Sheryl and Bill.