xliv. kill or be killed

chapter forty-four

"OH MY GOD!" Octavia cries out

"OH MY GOD!" Octavia cries out. The sand absorbs her body weight making it hard to run, but seeing Finnick in front of her gave her more strength than ever.

She ran toward him as he stood up from the sand. His eyes moved over her face as if to make sure that it was her.

When she closes the gap between them, her arms wrap around his neck as he finds her waist.

Their embrace felt like fresh air in your lungs after drowning. It was like reaching the earth's surface after being buried alive.

The relief of having his arms around her made Octavia lose her breath. Her shaking body was completely attached to him. Finnick's body felt numb at the overwhelming feeling of finally having her with him.

Octavia moves her head back just enough to let her lips find his. As they kiss, everything drifts away. The couple melts into each other, absorbing every breath of love that they have to give.

Finnick pulls away, resting his forehead on hers. Tears pool in Octavia's eyes as she can finally look at Finnick.

The sound of the crashing waves and the view of the glowing sunrise can't even come close to the feeling of their reunion.

"Mags?" Octavia asks, pulling away from him and beginning to look around. Her eyes dance over the area, not spotting the woman. Finnick's lips curl downward and shakes his head. Octavia's heart falls. As much as they had wished for it, the possibility of Mags lasting long enough for their plan to work was slim. Octavia gulps. "What happened?"

"She, uh," he pauses, looking over to Peeta and Katniss, who were no longer in the water. "She sacrificed herself, walked into the fog," he mumbles. Octavia's eyebrows furrow.

"The fog?" She asks. She hadn't seen any fog in the arena. Finnick nods.

"You didn't see it?" He questions, to which Octavia shakes her head.

"Where's Chaff?" He looked behind her, checking to see if the man was there. Octavia looked down at her wetsuit which was still stained red.

"There was a mutt. It was huge. It was a beast," she stutters while trying to rub away Chaff's blood. Finnick takes her hands in his, trying to calm her down. She tries to hold back a sob as she tells him what had happened.

"It happened so fast. There was nothing I could do, I," she gasps for air, "I couldn't save him. I couldn't save him," she repeats.