Chapter 3: The unexpected call

Watching a cricket match with my dad on Sunday evenings is my favourite activity in a week. I have been brought up by him after my mom died due to leukemia when I was 5.

Ever since he has been my only family and my everything. He has been working 2 jobs since then so that he can pay for my education and my college. Sunday is the only day he gets time to spend with me and that's why it's my favorite day of the week.

His retirement age is nearing and I want to find a good job so that I can give him everything he wants but unfortunately I have not received a call back from even one of the 20 companies I applied for.

"Riya, can you please fill up the popcorns in the bowl? The match is about to start", my father shouted excitedly from the dining room.
" Yes pops, one second, I am coming ".

" Riya beti, you are getting a call from an unknown number", shouted my father.
"Pops, I am busy, can you please pick up the phone for me? ", I replied back.

" Riyaaaaa, you secured the job in AMTECH".
I would have almost dropped the bowl in shock. I quickly rushed to the dining room with the bowl in my hand.
How on Earth is that even possible??!!
"Riya, I am so proud of you. It's one of the biggest companies. All these years of hardwork finally paid off".
He jumped up from the sofa and hugged me.

For a moment I thought of telling him that I don't wanna take up this job but the look of excitement in his eyes made me feel overjoyed. He is proud of me. I had been wanting to hear this from him throughout my life.

Anyways, it is actually a really big opportunity. And it would be a great stupidity to let it go just because my boss had teased me. Everything will be fine as long as I don't let her take advantage of me again. What matters at the end of the day is that I finally got a job and now my father can finally retire and take rest at home.