- CHAPTER VII

— 𝓜𝓾𝓽𝓾𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓑𝓮𝓷𝓮𝓯𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭

       Looking around at everyone seated at the table, you realized just how big Keiji's family actually was. There were about twenty people at this table not including all of the kids. You had sat next to Keiji, his grandfather sitting next to you, and Keiji's mother sitting next to her son. The food was great you had to admit. You had noticed that Keiji took a liking to the nanohana, you assumed it was his favorite. You took a liking to the spicy tofu, and Keiji's mom commented on it quietly.

"Do you like the tofu Y/n? I was the one who made it." She had stared at you while you hovered a hand over your mouth suddenly embarrassed while chewing.

"It's really good, I love spicy food." You smiled after swallowing and his mom nodded.

"Keiji never liked it sadly, he did always like his vegetables though, so I'm happy about that much." She went back to eating her food and so did you.

       There seemed to be a slight tension at the table, one that made you nervous. Usually when that happened you would stay quiet. Looking around you noticed everyone seemingly being very awkward and they looked anxious. You were trying to calm yourself down but couldn't help but blurt something out.

"Anyone else have any favorites?" Some people looked at you slightly wide-eyed, including Keiji. Usually at family dinners it was quiet.

"I quite like the nanohana, I think Keiji might've gotten that from me." Keiji's grandfather was the first to talk, you smiled at him.

"I tried it earlier and while it was good, I wouldn't say it's my favorite. I think my favorite food would have to be onigiri's theyre just so easy to grab and go and very customizable." You smiled and seemingly everyone had released a little tension. Keiji was amazed, you had managed to not only talk at one of these functions but somehow calm everyones nerves?

"I have an onigiri recipe if you'd like it." Everyone turned their head to Keiji's grandmother, who you smiled at but only slightly. She never was friendly with people like that so it surprised everyone.

"Aah, I'd love that, I know Keiji is quite fond of onigiri's and I've been looking for new recipes to try!" His grandmother had been fond of the way you were always smiling and seemed to care about Keiji and his well-being.

"Maybe we'll have to invite you back!" You smiled at his grandfather and continued eating.

       After your small "outburst", everyone had seemed to calm down and started conversing. Kanna had sat at the end of the table quite shocked at the whole situation. She was sure to remind Keiji how good you were, although Keiji could see it himself. He watched as you sat and conversed with almost all of his family members, your smile never leaving. He thought you were amazing. After the dinner, everyone went back to the small groups they were in before and you followed Keiji and Kanna to the back yard. It was quite pretty at night, the koi pond had lights around it and you were distracted by the fish while Kanna and Keiji sat on the deck.