Dramatis Personae

*Note: the cast of character will be expanded as the story progresses.*

House Corvus:

Lord Malachi Corvus, Marquess of Inverness: Head of House Corvus, and a Patrician First Class. He is a distant cousin of the Royal Family and serves as the Royal Spymaster.

Lady Daphne Corvus (née Daphne Carver): Lord Corvus's niece and ward, a spy for the Sisterhood. Born to the Proletariat but elevated to Patrician First Class.

In the Yorkshire Mines:

Agnes Carver: Daphne's elder sister. Proletariat. Found guilty of witchcraft. Deceased.

Davina Carver: Daphne's younger sister. Proletariat. Missing.

The Sisterhood:

The Allmother: Head of the Sisterhood, a mysterious figure of unknown age, origin and Caste.

Meadow: A former soldier with a mysterious past, now the Allmother's lieutenant and one of Daphne's teachers. Caste unknown.

Alice (née ??): A ladies' maid placed in House Corvus, one of Daphne's teachers, and a Sisterhood spy. As a servant, presumably a Plebeian Second Class. Real name unknown.

Students of the Academy:

Sir Cassian Magnus Orestes: son of the Earl of Westmoreland, heir to House Orestes. He is an aspiring academic who attends the Academy to please his family. Patrician Second Class.

Lady Octavia: a mysterious student at the Academy who befriends Daphne. Patrician First Class. Family unknown.

Lord Gareth Arcturus Augustus: third cousin of the current king and son and heir to the Duke of Rothesay. Daphne's chief rival at the Academy. Patrician First Class.

Lady Victra Martina Julianus: Gareth's childhood friend, a rival of Daphne's. Patrician First Class.

Lady Indira Nereus: Daughter of a government official in the British Raj and a Hindi mother. Expert in Spycraft. Patrician Second Class.

Academy Teachers and Military Commanders:

Princess Jessamine: The king's sister-in-law, sister of the current Persian Shah, a highly-respected scholar and military strategist. She teaches two subjects at the Academy: Classics and Strategy. Patrician First Class by marriage.

General John Caius Avienus: Newly-appointed commander of the Witchhunters, the most elite branch of the British military. Originally from an impoverished, disgraced House. Patrician Second Class.

Agrippina Lycaeus: The headmistresses of the Academy, a former general and war hero. She teaches History. One of only three women teaching at the Academy. Former Plebeian First Class, raised to Patrician Second Class for services to the crown.

Honora Grace: The third woman teaching at the Academy. She teaches Spycraft (formally called Intelligence and Counter-espionage). Considered by some the most beautiful woman in the world. Caste unknown. Background unknown.

General Lucius Jovianus: Former Witchhunter, and current teacher of Combat at the Academy. Plebeian First Class.