Chapter Victory through Air Power: Disney Traditions

Feya and Maisie didn't speak to each other until Saturday, the day of Disney Traditions. Until then, they kept their distance. Feya went to work, and Maisie holed up in her room, reading and checking for adoptable pets in Florida online. She only left to buy groceries and look at cats, none of which Milo was interested in. Although slightly frustrated, Maisie gave him time. Milo would eventually find that "perfect" sibling.

Mrs. Foster kept pushing Maisie to give Feya another chance, but fear and memories held her back.

Feya wanted it, too. She slipped a note under Maisie's door every day that read Are you ready yet?

Maisie never answered.

Eventually, Disney Traditions came, and she had no choice but to leave her room, only to bump into Feya eating breakfast in the kitchen. Maisie could not stop staring at her prosthetic leg.

Noticing her, Feya tucked it under the counter. "Hey," she said lowly. "So, today's the day, huh? Disney Traditions? If you... um... want, I can take you to Apprentice Hall. I'm off today."

"I think I'm okay, Feya." Maisie looked away from her and opened the freezer to grab a sausage biscuit.

"Maisie, please, I need to practice."

A bang told Maisie Feya had fallen getting out of her seat. She whirled around and saw her on the ground, Daisy beside her.

"Wooden floors aren't very friendly on it," Feya explained, standing. "I normally wear socks or shoes but haven't lately."

"Please be careful, Feya," Maisie said. "I don't want you getting more hurt than you already are."

She shrugged. "Hey, my daddy told me that if you fall, you're learning. He always said that when we skied in Bukovel before the war."

"You ski?"

"Used to, Maisie."

"Have you tried re-learning?"

"I'm waiting until a little more time passes." Feya patted her prosthetic thigh. "I cannot ski right now."

"Feya, I'm really sorry." Maisie placed her biscuit in the microwave and started it.

She shrugged. "It's whatever. It only takes a day for your life to change forever. Something tells me you know that, too." Feya rested her elbow on the counter. "Did you lose a loved one?"

Maisie cringed. She froze and remained that way for a while.

"You did, didn't you?" Feya moved closer. "Please, Maisie, let me help you. I haven't lost a family member, but I have lost my best friend, who was like a sister to me."

"I don't want to talk about it." Maisie bit into her biscuit.

"That's cool." Feya returned to the bar and crossed her right leg over her left. "Then I'll just wait."

"You really do not know the meaning of 'personal space', right?"

Feya smiled. "Nope."

A small chuckle left Maisie's lips, but she became serious again. "I would tell you, but what I've experienced doesn't compare to you."

"Grief is grief, no matter what triggers it." Feya uncrossed her legs. "Come on, girl, let's start all over. I'll take you down to Apprentice Hall, and you can tell me when you're ready. Deal?" She offered Maisie her hand.

"Start All Over". That was another one of Maisie's favorite childhood Hannah Montana songs. She thought about her mother's words and Feya's past. Feya needed her as much as she did. A dog could only do so much.

Maisie inhaled and accepted Feya's hand. "Deal."

***

Leaving Milo for the day was hard, but there was no way he could sit through an eight-hour-long Traditions class. Training would be hard, too, but Maisie decided to worry about that later.

Feya still refused to wear shorts, but Maisie wore a black blazer with jeans, a collared shirt, and close-toed shoes. The itinerary said to wear business attire for Traditions.

Maisie and Feya hustled to Apprentice Hall and found a long line of kids out the door.

Feya clutched Maisie's shoulder. "You've got this, girl. Text me when you finish, and I'll meet you here."

Maisie swallowed the lump in her throat. "Will you look after Milo for me?"

"Of course! I won't let him out of my sight." Feya gently pushed her. "Now, go get them, Tiger. You're at Disney. Smile."

Maisie tried, but it was challenging. There were so many kids in that line. Where was her cat when she needed him?

Traditions was in Room 101 of Apprentice Hall. Instead of rows of chairs donning it like move-in day, there were tables with at least six chairs each and a mysterious box in the middle of each one. Maisie tried sitting alone, but that didn't work.

Not only that, but Traditions went on forever. Maisie felt like she was trapped in an endless game of Monopoly. She had no idea how she did it. The only times she didn't space out were for the "You are the Magic" and "Five Keys" lectures.

"Disney has five keys," explained the instructor, pointing at the Promethean Board at the front of the room. "Safety, Courtesy, Inclusion, Show, and Efficiency. The Number One Key is Safety." He punched the button on his clicker, and the Safety Key popped up on the slideshow. It was blue and carried Disney's "D" on the handle. "We must do everything we can to keep our Guests and Cast Members safe."

Safety. Maisie's mind veered to Feya. She and her family believed they were safe in the small towns but were not. They still found and bombed them. Feya lost her best friend... and her leg. What if something horrible like that happened during Maisie's Program? No, she couldn't be a pessimist. She had to aim for optimism like Feya.

"All right, everyone," the instructor finally announced after eight hours, "that pretty much wraps up Disney Traditions, but before you leave, someone here wants to see you."

Heads turned at the same time, and eyebrows rose. Maisie was a victim of that group herself. Her initial thought was the CEO of Disney.

The instructor gestured at the boxes on the tables. "Face the boxes on your tables, and I'll get him. We'll open them when I say when."

Maisie's heart pounded. Was this excitement she felt? She and the rest of her peers at her table slid their hands toward their wooden box. They waited for the cue.

The instructor hustled to the back of the room and opened the door, poking his head out. "All right, we're ready, sir."

Maisie and a few others almost screamed when Mickey Mouse entered the room.

People jumped from their chairs, clapped, and waved at the life-size mouse. Mickey looked like a conductor with his red pants, white shirt, and black jacket.

He returned Maisie's peers' waves and marched with the instructor to the room's front.

Maisie couldn't believe her eyes, seeing how excited college kids got over Mickey Mouse. Was Disney really that powerful?

The instructor settled everyone and turned to Mickey. "Well, Mickey, here is the next set of DCP students. Do they look like an okay bunch?"

Mickey whispered in his ear.

"Oh, it's that time already?" the instructor inquired. He cleared his throat. "Mickey says it's time for you guys to open your boxes. On three. One, two..."

At "three," hands ripped open the boxes.

Maisie's eyes widened. She reached in and pulled out a Mickey headband with ears. His picture was sewn on the front, and the words Walt Disney World were under it.

"OMG!" Maisie set the headband on her head and laughed. Her first set of Mickey ears! She truly was at Walt Disney World!

"Mickey thinks you guys will be a fantastic group!" The instructor high-fived him. "With that said, this concludes Disney Traditions! We'll see you all tomorrow for Bring Magic to Life. Welcome, officially, to the Disney College Program."