02

Cecilia and her brother were fidgeting uncomfortably on the hard wooden benches, while their parents were watching them with a glare. Cecilia noticed her brother's restlessness and smacked his arm. He then put on a serious face and turned towards Mr Nolan, who was standing with a cold expression on his face. Mr. Nolan began to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys, the light of knowledge. One hundred years ago, in 1859, 41 boys sat in this
room and were asked the same question that greets
you at the start of each semester. Gentlemen, what
are the four pillars?" Cecilia strongly dislikes Mr Nolan because he refuses to acknowledge her as a student, she is pulled out of her trail of thoughts when her brother Charlie grabs onto her elbow making her stand up.

"Tradition, honour, discipline, excellence."

"In her first year, Welton Academy graduated five students. Last year we graduated fifty-one. And more than seventy-five per cent of those went on to
the Ivy League. This, this kind of accomplishment is the result of fervent dedication to the principles taught here. This is why your parents have been sending us your sons. This is why we are the best preparatory school in the United States."Mr Nolan holds a smug look as his eyes scan the room while the others clap.

"As you know, our beloved Mr. Portius of the English department retired last term. You will have the
opportunity later to meet his replacement, Mr. John
Keating, himself a graduate of this school. And who,
for the past several years, has been teaching at the
highly regarded Chester School in London." The crowd applauds once again.

Cecilia looks at the man and at the front before looking at her brother and giving an approval nod to which he rolls his eyes and starts slowly clapping.

"Charlie, stop rolling your eyes at your sister," their mother whispered through gritted teeth while forcing a smile. Cecilia smirks faking a pout at her brother.

Although people were leaving, Cecilia failed to notice the boy who was sitting a couple of rows in front of them staring at her as he began to walk out you could say he looked captivated by her as he continued to watch her tease her brother until she was out of sight and he was headed towards Mr Nolan.

***

Neil emerges from a building and sees Todd leaning against a pillar. "Hey, I hear we're gonna be roommates." he offers him a warm smile as he shakes Todd's hand. "I'm Neil Perry".

"Todd Anderson." Todd began to get dragged away by Neil who puts a hand around him to bring him inside the building.

"Why'd you leave Balincrest?" Neil said to Todd who has now now put his hands in his pockets."My brother went here." Neil could tell the boy is nervous so he cracks a smile and a soft laugh. "Oh, so you're that Anderson."