12. A Plot Twist pt.2

Elora pov:

My heart trembled as my fingers danced across the keys, relying on pure muscle memory. To my ears, each familiar note I played was like a war cry, in which my brain battled to block any unwanted memories. Yet flashes from the past seeped through, threatening to consume all my senses.

I fought to push through, however, by the end of the piece, I could hardly fight the tears welled up in my eyes.

I flinched as a round of applause erupted around me. I took a deep breath, desperately trying to compose myself. I couldn't allow myself to have a breakdown, not here, not now.

I stood up from my chair and faced the crowd. Delighted faces greeted me, eyes sparkled with awe and smiles radiated genuine admiration.

However, in an instant, I dropped my guard and was back in the dark theater. The happy faces morphed into disapproving ones, hands covering their mouths as they whispered into each other's ears with their forefingers pointed at me as gasps sliced through the air.

My heart pounded violently against my chest, my vision got blurry, and my legs threatened to give up at any given moment.

A gentle touch on my shoulder grounded me back to reality. Marcus' lips moved, but all I heard was the ringing in my ears.

"I -I need some fresh air," I somehow managed to choke out, my voice sounded foreign to my ears. Before he could respond, I rushed to the nearest exit.

The cool night air slapped my hot cheeks as I burst through the doors, but it generously filled my suffocating lungs in a single gasp.

Leaning against a nearby tree, I closed my eyes taking deep breaths as my tears flowed freely down my cheeks. I should've moved on by now. I thought I had moved on.

"Elora?" My eyes snapped open when a male voice broke through the silence. I quickly wiped my damp cheeks with my fists.

"Are you crying?" Emmett gasped, horrified.

"I am fine." I deflected his question. However, my strained voice gave me out.

"Did you get hurt? Did someone say something to you?" He pressed on, his gaze scrutinizing me.

"No, no... I just got overwhelmed." I tried to reassure him, my voice trembling slightly.

"By what?" He tilted his head to the side his brows knitted together in confusion.

"I guess... I am not used to that much attention," I shrugged my shoulders, trying to act nonchalant.

Emmett's face relaxed, and he said softly, "I understand." Then he added with a boyish grin that immediately lightened up the mood, "You know it's good to cry, release all the bad emotions."

"You're right, I feel much better now, lighter." I agreed, lifting the corner of my lips in a poor attempt to smile back.

"Well, then my lady if you allow me." He bowed dramatically and extended his palm towards me with a playful spark in his eyes.

I stared at him, his joy was contagious and I couldn't help but genuinely smile. I finally placed my hand in his warm palm, and he dragged me to the back garden. The sound of the music was faint, yet it could reach my ears.

I looked at him with confusion, as he stepped back. His head bowed slightly, and he offered me his hand again.

" Would you honor me to share a dance with me, my lady?" He asked enthusiastically.

He brushed a gentle, innocent kiss on the back of my hand and he added, "There is nothing that dancing can't cure."

Warmth rose to my cheeks. Something about Emmett made me drop all my defenses, perhaps because I knew from the novel what a good-hearted person he was.