Alone on Murder Street

Kate hurled a rock into the lake as hard as she could. She'd had another horrible day at school: all the popular girls had teased her for wearing glasses and she'd tripped up in front of the whole school in a presentation, humiliating herself. 

In a fury, she had ran straight to the local park after school, where nobody ever came. Every time she was there, Kate felt far away from the problems in her miserable teenage life: school, home, everything. She chucked the last rock into the water and stared for a moment at its light blue surface, admiring its stillness.

Suddenly, a woman's scream echoed all around the park. Then there was a thud. Kate jumped up and ran in the direction of the voice, her heart pounding. She ran through trees until she found the woman. But she would never be prepared for what she saw next.

A woman lay dead next to a tree, her face blue and her lips slightly parted. Kate backed away, shaking in fear. The woman had been murdered, that was for sure. But by who?

With trembling hands, Kate took out her phone and dialed 999. "H-hello?" she stuttered.

A man replied back urgently. "Hello. What is the problem?"

Kate took a deep breath. "W-well, I was in the park when I heard a woman scream so I came and I s-saw her dead. On the floor."

The man sounded like he was suspicious. "Mm, really? Where are you?"

[5 DAYS LATER]

Kate sat on her bed in the small room she shared with her sister, Diana (who was out with her friends). She had a notebook open in front of her and was chewing on the end of her pen, deep in thought. With nothing to do, Kate had decided to try and investigate the events of the woman's murder in the park.

That day, the police had interviewed her and told her that the woman was called Sabina Stone and was a 34-year-old journalist who was currently writing an article on pollution in her area. The only thing Kate knew was that whoever killed her must have been someone who disliked her, most likely because of her profession.

Just as she was about to start writing, Kate paused. A million doubts had soddenly come into her head. Was it a good idea for a 14-year-old to get mixed up in murder? Was this even safe? But Kate had already started now; it was too late to go back.

She decided to go back to the park, in case they had left anything behind. She knew the forensic people had already checked it, but Kate had a feeling it would be a good idea. She pulled her battered trainers on and walked out the front door into the bustling town.

When she arrived at the park, there was no one there- everything was silent. Kate walked silently through trees until she came into the small  area next to the pond where the woman had lost her life. 

Suddenly, Kate felt eerily alone and scared, as if where she was had only just registered in her mind. She considered going back, but forced herself not to. "It's fine. It's fine." she muttered, a vain attempt to supress the talons of fear that were now overpowering her body, refusing to let go.

Out of nowhere, she heard footsteps. A man's gruff voice called out, "Thought you'd be here. So predictable." he gave a bark of laughter.

Kate tried to run, but her feet were rooted to the spot. "W-who are you?" she managed.

The man looked her in the eyes. "Someone you'll regret ever meeting. Goodnight."

He stepped forwards. The last thing Kate remembered was something hitting her head, before sinking slowly into unconciousness, as the world turned black.

THE END