Chapter 4 - Duel Under Azure Skies

In the days leading up to the Outer Disciple Tournament, the Azure Cloud Sect was abuzz with anticipation, disciples sharpening their skills and strategizing for the battles ahead. Among them, Xianwu, trained in solitude, mastering the Celestial Ascension Technique to hasten his cultivation.

One afternoon, as Xianwu practiced in a secluded courtyard adorned with ancient, whispering pines and the soft murmur of a nearby stream, a figure approached him, casting a long shadow across the sun-dappled ground. It was Liang Wei, the younger brother of Liang Qiu, known for his arrogance and the protection his elder brother's fearsome reputation afforded him. Liang Wei, with his dark, short-cropped hair and piercing gaze that shimmered with a dark, unnatural energy, walked with a swagger, a smirk playing on his lips, his dark robes, a stark contrast to the sect's usual colors, swaying with each confident step. He eyed Xianwu with undisguised disdain.

"Xianwu Yongsheng, the sect's rising star, or so they say," Liang Wei sneered, stopping a few paces away. "I've watched you. You're not as impressive as the rumors suggest."

Xianwu paused, straightening up to face the young disciple. "Liang Wei, isn't it? To what do I owe the pleasure of this critique?"

Liang Wei's smirk widened. "I'm here to offer you a challenge, a wager. You and I, one-on-one at the tournament. The loser leaves the sect. What do you say?"

Xianwu regarded him quietly for a moment. Memories of a similar confrontation in his past life surfaced, along with the knowledge of the dangerous pill Liang Wei would rely on—a pill given by his brother, known as the "Fury Surge Pill," which temporarily amplified one's cultivation at the cost of damaging their foundation.

"Why such extreme stakes, Liang Wei? Is your brother's shadow not wide enough for the both of us?" Xianwu replied, his tone even but laced with a hint of provocation.

Liang Wei bristled at the mention of his brother. "This has nothing to do with him! This is between you and me. Are you afraid to accept?"

Xianwu smiled, a trace of sadness in his eyes for the young disciple before him, so eager to prove himself, so blind to the consequences. "I accept your challenge, Liang Wei. But know this, the path you're on leads to ruin, not respect."

Liang Wei scoffed, turning on his heel to leave. "Save your advice for someone who needs it. Prepare yourself, Xianwu. I won't go easy on you."

As Liang Wei walked away, his challenge hanging in the air like a thrown gauntlet, Feng Mo and Jianyu Zhen hastened to Xianwu's side, their expressions a mix of concern and confusion. They had caught the tail end of the conversation and were eager to understand what had transpired.

"Feng Mo, Jianyu," Xianwu greeted, noting their worried looks. "Liang Wei has issued a challenge—a duel at the tournament. The loser must leave the sect."

Jianyu's brow furrowed. "He can't be serious. And you accepted?"

Xianwu nodded. "Yes, but worry not. I have a strategy. I'll handle this," he reassured them, making an effort to sound more like the 20-year-old he was supposed to be, rather than the seasoned cultivator he felt inside.

Feng Mo shook his head, disbelief etched on his face. "But why risk so much on a duel, especially with Liang Wei? You know his brother's reputation."

"It's a risk I'm willing to take," Xianwu replied, his tone firm yet reassuring. "Trust me."

Before they could delve deeper into the discussion, Lan Hua approached, her presence commanding immediate respect. "Xianwu, a moment, please," she said, her voice carrying a note of urgency.

Feng Mo and Jianyu stepped aside, allowing Lan Hua to speak privately with Xianwu. "I overheard your conversation with Liang Wei. I urge you to reconsider. The Liang brothers are not to be trusted. It would be wise to withdraw from this wager," she advised, her concern evident.

Xianwu bowed respectfully. "I appreciate your counsel, Senior Sister Lan. But I intend to see this through. I believe it's a necessary step."

Lan Hua studied him for a moment, her gaze penetrating. "You seem determined. Be cautious, Xianwu. The path you're choosing is fraught with peril."

Internally, Xianwu reflected on his decision. I have a score to settle with Liang Wei, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Returning to Feng Mo and Jianyu, Xianwu found them waiting anxiously. "What did Senior Sister Lan say?" Jianyu inquired, concern lacing his question.

"She advised me to step back from the challenge," Xianwu shared, "But I reassured her of my decision to proceed."

Feng Mo let out a long sigh, his trust in Xianwu battling his instinctive worry. "If you're sure about this, then we've got your back."

Xianwu smiled, grateful for their unwavering support. "Thank you, both of you. I won't let this challenge endanger our place here in the sect. Trust me."

As they parted ways, each lost in their thoughts, the weight of the upcoming duel lay heavy on their shoulders. Xianwu, bolstered by the knowledge of his previous life and the strategic acumen it afforded him, felt a calm resolve. Feng Mo and Jianyu, though apprehensive, trusted in their friend's judgment, ready to stand by him through whatever the tournament might bring.