22

Thank you for your comments in the last chapter 🥺 please keep them coming they make me so happy 🤍

"You look incredible, Mila." Willow loops another TikTok of Mila walking the runway in Dubai while I lay buried in blankets on the couch. "I mean, that dress? I can't believe she actually made this by hand?"

I roll my eyes and focus on the TV, an early episode of The Office doing nothing to calm my aching chest. "Can you turn it down?" I sigh. "I'm sick of hearing that song."

"Mila, you're literally trending right now?" She gasps excitedly. "You're famous!"

"I don't want to be famous." I snap, moving my feet away from her at the other end of the couch. "I was lied to."

Willow sighs, placing her phone down on the floor beside her. "I get that." she huffs. "It was a bold move, but honestly, you killed it? Do you know how many models would murder their own mom just to walk on one of Scarlet's runways?"

"I don't care about any of that stuff?" I sit up and drag the covers to meet my shoulders. "I never agreed to go out there, Willow? It was terrifying?"

Willow shrugs. "You looked pretty confident to me." she diverts. "I just don't understand why you're so upset. Maisie thinks you're a real-life princess now, and besides, I'm sure the pay cheque will make up for the lost feelings."

"That's the point." I sigh, looking down into my lap with a knot in my stomach. "I thought she was interested in me." I shake my head, hating myself for falling for the woman's scheme. "I thought she was attracted to me?"

Willow scoffs with a sarcastic laugh. "She created an entire show about you, flew you to Dubai, and hand-made a silky red dress for you to wear. If that isn't a girl shooting her shot, I don't know what is."

I roll my eyes gently. "She groomed me into that dress so I'd walk out there and make her money."

"Doesn't she have like three thousand models on her roster?" Willow laughs. "She could have picked one of her more experienced girls to wear the dress, but for some reason, she chose you!" I look up at her and sigh. "Use your head, dummy."

Just as I go to open my mouth, the sound of knocking echoes through the apartment. I furrow my brows and stand to approach the door, walking the long hallway with a hesitant reach for the handle.

I pull open the door and freeze. It's Scarlet, staring back at me with a deep inhale and guarded expression. She clasps a large sketchbook and a pair of keys that I assume belong to the expensive sports car parked on the side of the street.

I roll my eyes and reach to slam the door, her hand catching it halfway. "Wait!" She steps forward and parts her lips. "Look, I know I'm the last person you want to see right now. I get it, but I really need you to see something."

"I've seen enough." I retaliate, clamping my jaw in hopes of ignoring how incredible she looks right now. "Like I said, I quit."

"I know." A hint of regret twinkles in her eyes, her firm demeanour unmoving and assertive. "I'm not here to beg or bargain with you." She clarifies, "I'm just here to explain myself, that's it. When I'm done, I promise I'll leave you alone."

I look down at the floor, wishing in another world that I could be brave enough to slam the door for a second time. "Fine." I sigh. "Come in."

I move back from the door and let her walk by. She walks down the hallway slowly, careful of the new environment ahead.

When reaching the main living area, Willow looks up from her phone and widens her jaw with an audible gasp "What the-

"A little privacy, Willow?" I ask hesitantly, motioning to Scarlet, now eyeing her from head to toe.