5. Shadows

This isn't possible. But the more I stare, the more I have to admit that the tracks are mine. I can even see a very thin line where my sole is just the tiniest bit cracked. I'm tempted to place my foot over the track even if I'm wearing heels.

Panic overwhelms me as I go back to last night and try to piece together every second after the lightning strike. I can remember everything perfectly. There are no holes in my memories, no zoning out, no nothing. I had clarity then like I haven't had in a very long time. I did not go back this way.

A sense of anger overcomes me again and I let it take me further down the path, following the footsteps.

"Mrs. Romney!"

I ignore the detective and continue my fast walk, my eyes scanning every print. I did not go this way. I. Did. Not! The tracks lead to my house and get lost in the grass in my backyard. Even if there is yellow tape around my house, I lift it and stride under it, then throw the back door open.

"Eva!"

Detective Trevor catches up with me and grabs my shoulder.

"You can't go in there! Didn't you see the yellow tape?"

"Why is there yellow tape around my house, Detective?" I snap, yanking myself free.

"You're a lawyer. You know very well why."

I'm a corporate lawyer. Big difference. I'm not even a litigator, but I don't have the time or the patience to explain the difference to him, especially since I used my status to defend myself at the station.

He's wrong though. My house is not a crime scene. There's no body. All the blood was outside next to my car. So I ignore his warning and step inside the kitchen.

Everything is exactly how we left it, splotched meatloaf included. Steve never did get around to cleaning, even after I left the house. I fleetingly wonder why he was so bad at it. Cleaning food off the floor was not rocket science. He didn't even try to use a broom. The thought irks me for some reason, digs into me and sets my temper on fire.

I don't even like cooking and meatloaf is not easy to make. How dare he spill it on the floor like it's nothing? Break the dishes?

As easy as it came, the rage exits my body, leaving me feeling cold. Why am I getting so upset? It's nothing. So he broke a plate. Big deal. And it's his loss that he didn't eat the food while it was warm and delicious. Why should that upset me?

I hug myself and rub my arms, trying to fight off the sudden chill. Something hisses behind be, like ragged whispers coming from far away. I turn on my heels, my heart drumming. The kitchen is empty and pristine except for the mess on the floor.

"Eva!"

Detective Trevor finally steps into the kitchen as well. I suspect he stayed out making a call because the door itself is mere feet away. Fine, let him call for backup to throw me out of my own house. But while I'm here, I might as well figure out why it's suddenly cold and creepy. I've never been scared once since we moved here, and I'm not going to let anything take that comfort away.

So I ignore the detective and continue to survey the room. Something moves somewhere to my right and I turn abruptly. I'm starting to hate this. It's already the fourth time it happened. There is no way I'm just imagining that moving shadow. There has to be something there, even if it's just a light trick used by someone who wants to scare me.

"We should get out," the detective says.

I frown and as my gaze moves to each corner of the ceiling. There's nothing there, not even cobwebs. And yet, I know something is wrong.