Chapter 12: Twisted Truth

"B....B!"

"Calm down, Ms. Woodgrip."

"I can't; what's wrong with him?"

"Ms. Woodgrip, I promise he will be fine."

Warm hands scooped the kitten up. It was Sal. Butter had regained consciousness a few seconds ago but didn't want to open his eyes without assessing the situation.

Had the spell worked? How badly had his mistress freaked out? Had he attracted unwanted attention? Also, it seemed he hadn't lost more than a few seconds this time around. How come? These were just a few of the hundreds of questions swimming in his mind.

He felt the night wind on his face, signaling that the trio was on the move. For a winter evening, it was pretty warm. Why hadn't Butter noticed it earlier?

"Hey, Hart, leaving so soon?"

And now they had stopped moving. Butter felt his mistress move closer to him...and to Sal!

"Butter here seems to have had an allergic reaction to something he ate. We were on our way to the vet. I was on my way to let you know about it."

No, you weren't. You just made that up, Sal. You are a man of many talents, I see.

"Oh, man. I am sorry to hear that. By the way, if you are stepping out, please be careful. The paps have the resort surrounded."

"They haven't left?" Sal's grip on the kitten tightened. Butter almost let out a wince.

"Some have, but most refuse to believe that you left."

Sal sighed. "Thanks for the heads up, Bran."

Bran!? When did they get so chummy?

"No problem, we are practically family now that you are hanging out with Pepper here."

"Sis, what happened?"

Butter heard Felicity approach them from his left. Her anxious tone made the kitten nervous for some reason.

"FiFi, something's wrong with Butter. I am sorry...I haven't even congratulated you properly and-"

"Salvador Hart?" It seemed that the younger witch had just recognized the hands cradling Butter. "Are you here with him, Sis?"

"Later, Felicity." Pepper's tone turned cold. "I really need to leave now."

"Of course. Here"-the air around Butter jingled-"take Bran's car. It's in the private parking lot just behind the amphitheater."

"Thanks, FiFi. Please excuse us, Brandon. And thanks for the car."

"No probl-"

The bride's words were cut off, and Butter was on the move again. He had to think fast, or he could wind up on the vet's table. He absolutely couldn't afford that. But if he was to open his eyes now, they would have to return to the party. Sal and Pepper weren't making any progress there. No, they needed to go someplace private, somewhere they could get some time alone.

Butter waited till they had put some distance between them and the resort. His two companions had fallen silent. It wasn't even a romantic silence like the ones he had seen in overly sweet Christmas movies.

Darn it!

"Meow." Butter bumped his nose on Pepper's elbow.

"Beeeeeee!" The witch held him up. Staring into his soul, she asked, "What happened to you?"

"Check his pulse," Sal said, side-eyeing them.

"I don't know how to do that, Mr. Hart."

"How long have you had him for?"