Prologue

In spite of what the majority of you have been taught, fairy tales are true and nothing could be worse.

Ignore all the fanciful tales spun about enchanting princesses with melodious voices and harmoniously singing forest creatures, as well as valiant princes riding in to rescue the day; those elaborate narratives, adorned with crimson bows, are nothing more than fraudulent fabrications, carefully woven to veil the truth beneath layers of falsehood and illusion.

Not everything is what it appears to be. Fairy tales in their reality are well carved out realities squandered between the pages of hardcovers.

For many people, the idea of ​​a blissful "Happily Ever After" is a distant memory, and if you truly want to find happiness, there is no way to actually get that happily ever after unless you're a noble or a royal.

The rest of the population just has to settle for what they get when it comes to those fairy tales; because when fairy tales can be bought at a whim they lose all meaning and bring nothing but misery to everyone but the heroes.

In the school of life, Sorren had to grasp the lesson through their persoanl of experience and understand the harsh reality that his fate was not a predetermined script but a narrative waiting to be written by his own hand, a realization that would change him forced to become the author of his own fate.

"I told you we can't do this. We must find another way!" the king said in frustration, his hands clenched into fists at his side as his jaw twitched.

Sorren twirled his trusty blade between his fingers as he paced the king's chamber waiting for the right moment to go in. "The story has already been bought and his brother; our son needs a villain. He is the perfect fit" the queen said firmly as a smirk played on her features.

Sorren raised an eyebrow in response to what the queen had said. "The story has been bought"—what did she mean by that? Why did they bring him up as well?

"I promised he would be king, so what you are suggesting to me is wrong. The king shook a crooked finger at her reproachfully and declared: "Buying fairy tales is a criminal offense."

"You didn't think that when you gave it to your other children" the queen laughed and shook her head. Besides, this wouldn't be your first breach of a promise. Sorren has been hurting my back ever since he arrived. It is a given that his brother will become king. I would never have let him take the lead, make him the villain and make that sacrifice. Tell him you're proud of yourself or whatever. He doesn't have to realize that he will ultimately die. She shot back, "At least use it for something" as she tossed her hair over her shoulder.

As Sorren absorbed her words, his heart quickened its pace in disbelief, his grip on his blade tightened, until it broke under the weight of his growing rage, and his stepmother's dark intentions unraveling before him like a nightmare as the realization dawned that she was willing to sacrifice him for the sake of his brother, which sent a violent storm of emotion coursing through his veins.