𝟎𝟓𝟑. 𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐫

𝖲𝗈𝗆𝖾𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾 𝗂𝗇 𝗅𝖺𝗍𝖾 𝖩𝖺𝗇𝗎𝖺𝗋𝗒, 2022

𝕿he last thing Jack expected on a Tuesday night before a game was a call from June begging him to come pick her up in the middle of the night.

Okay, it wasn't the middle of the night — it was twenty minutes after ten. But Jack had already settled in his bed with a book and had been hoping to sleep as soon as possible.

Until June called with a shaky voice.

So he just had to jump out of bed, pull a sweatshirt over his head, grab his car keys and exit the apartment in a hurry because since moving to Newark in August last year, June has done her best to avoid taking Jack up on his "call me whenever" offer.

He pulls up to the location she'd sent him and catches sight of her sitting by the curb, glancing around in high alert while also frowning at all the other college students who filter out of what is obviously an ongoing party.

He honks and she immediately turns her head, quickly getting up to her feet, pulling her skirt down and bringing her unbuttoned coat closer to her body as she makes her way to the car.

She opens the passenger door and her scent instantly fills the space.

Jack watches her frantic fingers taming her hair even though it's only a little out of place because of the wind, her glittery black fingernails shining under the sparse light seeping into the vehicle.

Wordlessly, she tugs on her heeled boots for a second before huffing in frustration and leaning back against the seat, screwing her eyes shut while she attempts to regulate her breathing.

He says nothing, silently staring at her side profile.

She's dressed up and perfectly put together like she always is, no sign of any mental turmoil affecting her physical appearance no matter what is going through her head.

She's been like that since he's met her. She could be having the worst day of her life but once Juniper Bauer sets foot outside the house, her physical appearance fails to indicate any sign of a breakdown.

She's good at it too but Jack can see the way she'd been trying to keep herself together while she had sat waiting for him and now, she is calming herself down, counting down her breaths without acknowledging him.