Chapter Sixteen

Frances stifled a groan as pain sliced across her lower back and echoed down her thighs to her legs. She was exhausted, she thought, glancing down at her swollen feet. She'd experienced some relief the morning before, when Roman expertly worked his fingers through her aching muscles in a soothing massage, but the second they got back on the road, the swelling returned. They'd been traveling for over twenty-four hours, and with every hour that ticked by, the swelling appeared to grow worse. Frances was certain there wasn't anything she wouldn't give to be released from the confines of this rusty carriage.

Yet, she uttered no words of complaint, for she didn't wish to further displease Roman. It was bad enough he'd taken to avoiding her since their awkward conversation the morning before. Even now, she reeled from the shame and pain of that conversation, and unwilling to relive it, she shifted to the window and parted the curtains. Darkness cloaked the earth. But for the lamps attached to their moving carriage, they would not have traveled the lonely roads. Her gaze found Roman up ahead, a few feet from the carriage, riding on his majestic mare. She saw his taut muscles and knew he was tired, but in his determination to avoid her, stayed on his horse rather than join her in the carriage.

She released the curtains and turned her attention to Sara, who was asleep on the couch across from her. If only she was as unbothered as Sara; if she could only find a reprieve for her weary soul long enough to fall asleep. But the fear of the past and the uncertainty of the future kept her wide awake, until hours later, when the carriage stopped. She heard muffled sounds outside before the door flew open and Roman appeared.

"We're here," he announced, awakening Sara, who immediately sat upright and turned to her mistress in question.

"Mr. Brown has just informed me we're in Dedham," Frances told her.

"Oh, good." Sara nodded, then climbed down from the carriage. "I shall see to your things." She turned from them. Frances traced her movements to the back of the carriage, where the coachman could be heard hefting their bags out of the boot.

"Here." Roman offered her a hand. She took it and made to rise, but the movement sent a bolt of pain through her lower back. She winced, gritting her teeth.

"Are you alright?" He frowned. She thought she saw concern in his weary eyes, but doubted it. He'd made it clear he would never love her; she wouldn't delude herself into thinking he'd ever care enough to be concerned.

"Yes," she nodded softly as the pain eased. "I'm just tired." They'd traveled for many hours and had only stopped long enough to water the horses. Even then, she'd been trapped in the carriage, her limbs sore from the confinement.

"The rains had ceased. I thought it wise for us to take advantage of the wonderful weather and travel the entire night. It spared us the trouble of spending an extra day on the road. But perhaps I was wrong." His frown deepened as his gaze shifted to her swollen feet. "I should have considered your pregnant state, and how you might've desired to pass the night on a comfortable bed in an inn. I should have sought your counsel first. Forgive me." He appeared sincerely regretful.

"No," she shook her head, "this is much better. I'm glad we don't have to spend another second on those roads."

She rose again, slowly this time, her hand trapped in his as he guided her forward. When she was close enough to the door, she felt his strong arms circle her waist, and with one quick movement, he swept her into his arms.

"Are you strong enough to walk?" he asked, as he extracted her from the warm carriage, into the cool morning.

"Yes," she mumbled, even if a stubborn part of her desired to remain in his arms.

Gently, he settled her on the gravel, but kept his arm planted firmly on the small of her back. She liked his touch. Shaking the wayward thought aside, she raised her gaze to examine the environment.