Chapter 2

The rush of water from the Don River grew louder and louder as Ermin walked down Picking Cork Lane. The stone foundation of the Chen and Kim Milling Company rose from the water, its high wall sheltering the wooden gears and huge grindstones inside. Outside, the waterwheel creaked and groaned. The wall climbed up another two stories to an attic topped by a sharply peaked roof. A hook and pulley system swung out over the side yard, where Hetty Chen was loading grain into a basket. Her partner, Soon-Yi Kim, was busy hauling the grain up to the attic, where it would be cleaned before being funneled through a series of bins and chutes and ground down into flour. Bits of chaff drifted free from the birdlike beaks of Hetty's and Soon-Yi's masks, worn to keep the most recent outbreak of tree fever at bay. Ermin was glad she was immune to the fever and didn't have to wear such a mask. Woven from thick cloth, they looked heavy and hot.

The mill's living quarters jutted into the street like an afterthought, and were surrounded by a porch roofed with moss-covered tiles. Two stone steps led down to the road. Standing on the bottom step was Sclaw, the Faeling cook.

Faelings, or human–Fae biracials, weren't common outside of Pennyluck Place, the settlement's roughest neighborhood. But Sclaw was not only the mill's guardian and protector, she was Soon-Yi's adopted sister. Nobody messed with her, at least not if they wanted to do business at the mill. Sclaw's great wings were folded neatly on her back, and she was clothed in her best tunic and talon guards. A basket hung from her arm. She was about to either run a few errands or take her half day. Either way, it would be safe for Ermin to work. Essey was just as keen as any apprentice to keep her mechanical illiteracy a secret from her employers, so she always summoned Ermin during those times when Sclaw would be out.

"Remember to take the buns out of the icebox," Sclaw said, while Essey listened with crossed arms and an impassive expression. "They'll take at least two hours to rise. Don't forget to set the hourglass." Sclaw unfurled her wings and wrapped them around Essey. "I won't be gone long."

"Sclaw!" Essey cried out in muffled protest.

"Oh, you youngsters!" Sclaw's wings retracted and gave Essey's shoulder an affectionate squeeze. "Always so embarrassed about everything!" She adjusted a large white mask over her nose and mouth. Faelings weren't immune to tree fever either. Sclaw's leather talon guards scraped down the stairs and left a trail of three-toed prints behind in the mud. "I won't be long, my dumpling."

Ermin ducked back into Picking Cork Lane as Sclaw lumbered past, still rumbling instructions over her shoulder. When she could no longer hear the thump and scrape of claws, Ermin stepped out of the alley and waved to get Essey's attention. Essey spotted her and signaled her over. Ermin raced to the porch.

Essey pulled her inside. "Hurry–Sclaw's got periscope vision. She can see around corners."

"I hope she can't see through walls."

"I'm not sure, but her mother can."

Ermin laid down her satchel and opened the storm wand's control panel.

Essey watched with interest. "Isn't Colin with you?"

"Not since Mr. D'Arcy shoved a fancy new bewitcher into his hands and invited him to join the elite class." Ermin fought to keep her voice light while a wave of jealousy surged over her. If she had half his abilities, she could have passed her exams long ago.

"Fancy that old demon D'Arcy doing something so nice! When I think of how much I hated him when I was at St. Anselm's... Never mind. I'll keep watch in case Sclaw comes back. You can hide under that table if she does." Essey indicated a side table, whose folded wooden leaves reached down to the floor. "I've polished it with lemon oil so she won't be able to smell you."