CHAPTER 5: THE UPRISE

Days after days, Octavius kept coming with different types of tonics from the royal physician, trying to prove to me that he is different.

Today I am going to start my work back, I am not fully healed but who am I to keep being lazy, not my words.

Which is why I am awake this early, sluggishly trying to dress up with Mary assisting me.
"So I wanted to ask" Mary said giving me the side eye as she helped me with my hair.

"Ask what?" I asked impatiently when I noticed the side eye she was giving me with the creepy smile on her face.

"Who has been coming to this room every time I leave for work?" she asked with a sly smile on her face now standing in front of me.

"What do you mean?" I stuttered.

"You think I have not noticed the strange scent always in the room not to talk of this fancy looking tonic bottle always in the trash bin and should I also talk about different time I always find you smiling to yourself unconsciously" she said ending her words in a high-pitched tone, clapping her hands together like a little girl who was accepted by her crush.

"We need to leave now if we do not want to be late" I said before walking out hurriedly.

"So I was right" she squealed running after me and hugging me excitedly making me yell out in pain when she hit my still sore spots.

"I'm sorry" she apologized quickly but still kept pressing me for answers until we reached our work stations and we had no choice but to be quiet and focus in order not to be punished.

This time I made sure not to be too fast while doing my work, would not want a repeat of what happened the last time I was in this kitchen.

As expected, it did not take long for the head chef to come looking for me, probably to come and find something to complain about.

"Your presence is required in the royal hall" he said as soon as he got close, making me look up with pleading eyes, anywhere but that place.
"Please head chef" I pleaded almost going into tears.

"The order is from the higher up not me" he said before walking away and I sighed in frustration.

Mary looked at me worriedly, there is obviously nothing more she can do for me than to sympathize with me.

It was harder climbing the stairs as this time, my wounds have added to the stress, slowly in order to avoid opening up my wounds I climbed the stairs, and I was not even halfway before I started breathing heavily.

I rested for a bit before I started walking up again, and in like 10 minutes I was up the stairs staring at the two guards in front of the double doors. Without questioning me this time they opened the door and I'm left confused, but I entered quickly anyway.

As soon as I entered, it was like relieving that bad day, but I gave myself the pep talk while I was coming up the stairs, it did little to calm my nerves, but I would not give them the satisfaction to see me break down like the first time I was here. They were probably entertained, that is why they asked me to be here again, but they are in for disappointment.
Breathing in shakily, I searched for the head maid, but my eyes got stock on a particular silver-colored eyes, staring back at me with so much intensity, everything seems to quiet down, it felt like I could see only him and hear only him. I know it wrong for me to be looking at the king, but I cannot seem to take my eyes away, I need to snap out of it, he is one of the people involved in my suffering, I tried looking away but failed not until I noticed the dragon behind him trying to get my attention or so I think.

"Move it maid" a guard grunted when I was taking too much time at the door, and I looked away bowing my head. It did not take long for me to sight the head maid and I walked quickly to her side, trying my best to ignore the dragons and intimidating royals. Now that I think about it, Octavius should be here somewhere, unconsciously, he made me always look forward to him coming to see me, even if half of the time we spend together is always filled with me giving him attitudes.

"You have been assigned to always aid the royals, you do not need to report to the kitchen anymore" Head maid Victoria said as soon as I got to her side making me freeze on spot, who exactly is after my matter, the world has been against me.

"But head maid" I stammered, and she discreetly shook her head, telling me not to say anything.

"You are stationed beside the King, try not to do anything that will annoy him, please Fayre" she begged and that was when I saw the scared and vulnerable look in her eyes, she is scared for me.

"Yes, head maid" I bowed, and she directed me to my position, it is taking me a whole lot of energy to not crumble down and cry as I took my place beside the other maids close to the king.

It is a very boring job if I may tell, we have been standing here for over an hour doing nothing other than serving drinks randomly. I was already dozing off where I was standing when I felt something crawl behind me and the maids beside me screamed and moved away quickly making me look back.

Our favorite dragon was staring back at me with his scarlet red eyes as it supported my dozing self with his body. At first I did not react as I was shocked but when I remembered how he made me faint and stranded, I glared and move back, for some strange reasons I am not scared of him.

Every eyes were on us once again today, but they did not get the chance to be entertained as an alarm sounded round the castle.

And everywhere turned into chaos.