Helios-5

Mizuni, Kitten, Fesh, Marco, and Jamet were sitting around the observation deck, watching while the massive space station at Helios-5 slowly glided into view.

"That is the biggest piece of technology that I have ever seen in my entire life," Fesh said with his eyes wide open.

"It looks bigger than the Academy," Kitten whispered.

"It's about three times the size, Mizuni," Jamet commented.

"Three times?" Mizuni said, almost yelling, and turned to Jamet. "That's a lot of... everything."

"Look, there!" Marco said and pointed to an area behind the station that was just coming into view.

A large — if diminutive compared to the Helios Station — round and flat object was floating in the space just slightly to the side of the bigger station. It gleamed in pristine white and shiny metal colors in the cold rays of Helios Prime.

"Sunstar," Mizuni said with her voice almost quivering. "I've hoped, wished, and waited for this moment for more than three decades," she said quietly.

"It looks positively tiny compared to the Helios Station," Jamet said, then chuckled. "Just like me compared to you," she said and laughed gently.

"You're such a big personality, Jamet, that I tend to forget that," Mizuni said and smiled.

"I'll take that as a compliment," Jamet said, and grinned. "I have to take space with my personality, or you lot would forget I was here," she laughed.

"Thankfully, size doesn't matter in our jobs," Fesh said and grinned at Jamet. Because Fesh was the tallest, and Jamet the shortest, it looked rather absurd when those two were together. Jamet barely reached to Fesh's knees. The ship — and especially Fesh's room — had had to be modified for him to fit. And Jamet's quarters had had to be fitted with risers so she could reach things.

Jamet nodded at Fesh. "Too true. Otherwise, you'd need to carry me around and help me reach stuff," she said.

"And you'd have to go to places I can't fit," Fesh said.

Marco opened his mouth to say something, but before he managed, Kitten said, "If you are going to start comparing any other sizes here, I'm out."

Jamet laughed, and Fesh snickered. Marco closed his eyes and sighed.

"You are a bunch of kids," Mizuni said, smiling.

"Oh, the Donut Lady speaks," Marco said, grinned madly, and started to run away just as Mizuni picked up a pen and threw it at the receding Marco's back.

Mizuni cackled, got up, and stretched. "I'm going to get a shower, put on some better clothes, and then go wait on the docking bay. I can't wait to be off this ship for a while," she said and walked to the elevator, yelling for Marco to wait for her.

After a few hours, all of them were sitting around a large dining table in one of the private rooms inside a restaurant at Helios-5. All twelve of them were present, and they were wearing what they called "civilian gear," which just means their own clothes.

Mizuni was wearing a red sleeveless dress and black high heels. Marco had a black suit, white shirt, and red bow tie. Greenwood-smith had a long-sleeved blouse and a long gray shirt. Llainessa was wearing white straight trousers, a black t-shirt, and a white neat jacket on top that he kept open. Jamet had a bright orange knitted sweater and brown trousers.

Fesh was wearing what looked like a diving suit, but it was made of soft cloth and had silver embroidery at the sleeves. Stein was in a gray suit, white shirt, and a black tie. Abebe had a sleeveless yellow sundress that had chemical formulas as patterns all around. Oberz had black trousers, a black button-up shirt, and he was carrying a white knitted jacket in his arms.

Williams had her "ears on" as she liked to say when her headphone-implants were turned on. She was wearing a stunning black evening gown, that made her look more like a model than a scientist. Kitten had a white t-shirt with the text "I fucking love science" on it with the dots of the i's being hearts. She had a black midi skirt and black flats. T'hea-ik had changed to his personal floating device that included a better backrest, and he had a brown leather jacket on top of a white t-shirt.

"It's weird seeing us all in civilian gear," Oberz said, adjusting his tie. "Also, it feels weird. I don't like the texture of this shirt."

"Jacob, why did you put it on in the first place, then?" Stein asked.

"Well, it didn't feel bad then. And then I thought I could handle it," Oberz said and twitched uncomfortably. "Ah, it's not that bad. I can deal with it," he said, and failed to be very convincing.

"It's your skin," Stein said. "Anyway, we're all dressed up to eleven. What are we going to actually do?" he said and grinned.

Mizuni tapped her lips with her right index finger. "I don't really know," she said. "Now that we've eaten, we could do anything we wanted. But I didn't plan this far," she grinned. After a second or two, she added, "though I think I want to go see if there's dancing anywhere around here. Does anyone know how to dance?"

Williams lifted her hand, waited for them to turn to look at her, then signed, "I know a few dances. I'm not a pro, but I'm not ashamed on the floor, if you mean that." She smiled, and continued, "and I know Marco and Abebe can dance."

The rest of them shook their heads and tried to look around and be inconspicuous, with little success. Marco nodded at Abebe.

"True, we used to dance a lot during our Academy time," he said and signed at the same time.

"No need for that, Marco," Williams signed. "I have my ears on," she smiled.

"Habit," Marco said and signed. "I'm so used to it with you, I do it without thinking."

"Thanks," Williams signed. "It means a lot."

"No problems," Marco said and signed. "Anyway, if you want Neya, we could go and see if we can still do it?" he asked Abebe.

Abebe nodded, smiling. "Sure, it'll be fun. Williams, you joining too? We can have two pairs like that."

Williams nodded. "If Val's okay with that," she signed. Mizuni nodded at her.

"I can come too," T'hea-ik said. "At least I'm not stepping on anyone's shoes," he added and cackled. "Nah, joking aside, I'm gonna stay here and bully these people to play Pe'lori with me," he added and looked around.

"No need for bullying," Jamet said. "I love that game. I'm in."

There was a general agreement, that the four of them — Abebe, Marco, Williams, and Mizuni would go dancing, and the rest of them would stay here and play. The four said good night to the rest, and left to search for a place to dance.