Chapter 10

"It's difficult to know for sure, Mrs. Williams. All I can say right now is that we know the van exited I-78 at W. Runyon St." The Agent in Charge reported, "We've collected and are processing video from all around but haven't been able to find their exact location." He said while pointing to the map displayed on the hundred-inch screen. He looked around the room, his eyes settling on Claire briefly, an uncomfortable look on his face. His weight shifted from foot to foot, reminiscent of a kindergartener in front of their teacher.

Claire looked around the room, eyes piercing, and settled back on the agent holding him in judgment.

When this meeting is over, I'll be calling the Director.

Williams Holding's opulent boardroom was packed with law enforcement representatives. On the wall, a monitor showed a video feed with several prominent politicians. Muted chatter filled the room as the people seated around the long oak table discussed the information presented. Claire looked around the room. She fidgeted with a pen, clicking rhythmically as she digested the progress.

"Agent Langford, when will you have drone surveillance? We don't have the manpower to continue to monitor the area 24/7." A Captain from the New Jersey State Police said.

"Captain, let's discuss the operational details at another time. This meeting is to update Mrs. Williams," A stern-looking man on one of the video feeds admonished.

I need to stay calm. Roger is capable. She tried to calm herself, but the thought of him being injured disturbed her. She stopped fidgeting with the pen and looked up at the agent.

"Two days have passed, Mr. Langford." Her voice was steady, a controlled calm at odds with the tempest in her eyes. Each word was measured, precise, like a sharpshooter readying for a shot. The slight quiver in her clenched jaw betrayed her attempt at composure, making it clear—she expected results, not excuses.

"We have it narrowed down to a few blocks, Ma'am, but even with that, it will take us a few days to pinpoint the exact location. To answer the Captain's question, drone surveillance was authorized a couple of hours ago, and they should be operational now," the agent quickly added defensively.

"Mrs. Williams, I can assure you that all of New Jersey's law enforcement resources are working on finding your husband," one of the men on the video feed said.

"Thank you, Governor Michaels," answered Claire.

You better move all your resources, you bloated windbag, or you'll see how quickly the donations for your reelection dry up.

"As are all of New York's law enforcement resources, Mrs. Willimas," another man quickly added.

"Thank you, Governor Stevens," Claire smiled insincerely toward her gramp's long-time leech.

Yours too. Now is the time to pay back all our years of investment in you.

"We have 24-hour surveillance around the whole area. If the van moves, we'll know; if not, we'll find where they are hiding. It shouldn't be long," added Agent Langford.

"I'm hoping you'll do more than just wait around, Agent!" Claire's controlled voice signaled a clear or else.

"Ma'am, there's nothing else we can do. We can't get a blanket warrant to search the whole area," Lanfrod's tone was apologetic.

He quickly added, "At night, the warehouses are mostly deserted, and the drones will be able to do infrared imaging."

Night is still nine hours away. Anything can happen to Roger in that time.

"Far be it for me to tell you how to do your job, Agent, but that area is all commercial warehouses. I'm sure you can do fire inspections or something else! Governor Michaels, I believe the DCA can handle that?" Her anger escaped in her tone. Claire breathed deeply. She had to stay calm.