First Day of High School

CHAPTER ONE | FIRST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL

****

I R E L A N D   S C H U L A R I C K

The morning of my first day of high school was something I had been dreading for the entire summer. It was finally time for me to start school at Eden Hall, where my older brother, Rick, already went. 

It wasn't the classes I didn't want to endure, or the homework, it was the people. Everyone at Eden Hall knew Rick, he was the captain of the varsity hockey team and a sight for sore eyes. But nobody knew me. All my life, I've always been known as 'Rick's little sister' and never by my own name. Don't get me wrong, I hated public attention, and I loved and supported my brother, but it wouldn't be so bad to be recognized by at least one person for who I was and not my brother. 

So there I was, sitting in the passenger seat of Rick's car as he drove us to our orientation before school actually started. All students were supposed to attend, seeing as there were some school year announcements that were to be made, and the presenting of the new JV hockey team that had won the Junior Good Will games. 

When the two of us arrived in the main hallway of Eden Hall Academy, Rick was immediately swarmed by other fellow varsity players. I simply stood a bit awkwardly at the edge of the group, not really having a need to be there but at the same time not knowing where to go. I watched students go by, all seeming to have the attitude that came with one thing. 

Money. 

Money was something I hadn't struggled with personally, but growing and going to public schools all my time before high school helped me see that not everyone had the money I was graced with. 

it seemed like Rick remembered I was still with him because he came to stand next me.

"Addie, why don't you come with us for the orientation, then I'll show you to your first class afterward? You should be able to find your way from there." 

I nodded, continuously looking around the main hallway as I followed the some of the varsity team to the auditorium. The walk was loud but quiet, the noise coming from the surrounding kids, and the quiet coming from Rick and I as we walked. 

When we finally made our way to the mostly full auditorium, we settled in a row near the front but not quite, making sure we blended into the crowd at least a little bit. Minutes passed as more students and staff filed in, finding whatever seat was available. 

At some point, a group of what looked to be freshmen sat in front of us, chattering quietly amongst themselves. I couldn't help but feel jealous seeing as they already had each other as friends, unlike me. 

Fiddling with my fingertips, I tried to distract myself from any other first day anxieties. I only broke from my daze when I heard Rick speak. Only, he wasn't speaking to me, or any of his friends. He was speaking to the kids in front of us. 

"You don't belong here."

I looked up to see six heads perk up at his voice, all turning to look in our direction. Each of them wore a look of confusion except for a pretty looking girl with striking blue eyes and the most natural platinum blonde hair I had ever seen. My eyes met hers for a brief moment before she spoke. 

"What did you say?" She snapped, speaking with an accent I couldn't place, then scowling at Rick. 

Another voice spoke up from beside the girl. This time it was a country accent.