Chapter Eleven

A month passes by after the birth of my healthy baby boy

A month passes by after the birth of my healthy baby boy. After Lussios showed up with the both of us in his strong arms at the gates, we were quickly escorted inside. At least that's what I was told by one of the wet nurses in the birth center I've been staying in. Supposedly, I was on the verge of bleeding out before I was taken here for care.

Since then, I've yet to see Lussios' beautiful mug.

The pale child in my arms wiggles around before his big blue eyes open. This one has taken splendidly after his father with a vast ocean in his half-lidded gaze. I want to touch the tuft of red hair on his head, but I still have first time parent jitters.

What if I make him uncomfortable?

What if I touch his soft spot too hard?

What if I give him a cold?

"Have you decided on a name yet?" Leera has quickly become my favorite wet nurse in the past month.

One thing I had to quickly realize while here was that this world is much more similar to my old world than I thought it was. Like on my earth, birthing is oftentimes like a chore here. Aristocratic women will have babies because it's part of their duty, but they disregard motherhood completely. While old money nobles hire in nannies or pass down nannies throughout generations, new money nobles send their newborn babies to birthing centers. It's not common for the mothers to stay as well, but there are some who do take pride in becoming mothers.

Shaking my head, I glance up at the short but busty women. "It's much harder than I thought it would be to think of a name."

I've tried countless times to wrack my inherited memories, but despite the old Chrysanthy loving this child, she had failed to think of a name for him. It's clear to see that she had assumed once the child was born, Callum would take interest in her once again. Though with my short time in this life, I don't think that would have been the case.

"Ah, it might be good to start asking for help then," Leera says. She takes the seat next to me, the old wood creaking under her. "Many new mothers ask for suggestions... if you understand my drift."

So the aristocracy even allows for others to name their children. That shouldn't come as a surprise to me, but it does. It makes my heart twinge at just the thought of some other woman naming my child. Nevertheless, I give Leera a smile for her suggestion. She's just trying to help.

"I think something will come to me soon."

Leera and I delve in conversation a little longer before she's called away for a feeding. Once again, I'm left alone with my child and an empty room with multiple chairs and tables. The common room is often vacant as most women leave their babies here for months. But lately, I've enjoyed the alone time that I have.

It's only when my thoughts venture to unpleasant things that I wish this place was bustling.

The last couple of nights, my mind has been occupied with what will happen when I return to Torbum. I didn't leave with the best circumstances, so now that the child is here, I can't imagine things will be better.