Chapter 31

Barbara

Eleanor's wedding was held in a resort in upstate New York.

Since almost all of John's family was in Texas, they'd arrived a day earlier and stayed in the same resort. John stayed with them, but Eleanor spent her last night as an unmarried woman in my place.

We spread all the blankets I had on the living room floor, one on top of the other until the ground was cushiony. Then the two of us, along with Pirate and the cats, slept right there, chatting until a late hour of the night and snacking on cucumbers, baby carrots and fruits. We would've usually snacked on brownies or cookies, but Eleanor's wedding was the following day and she wanted to be glowing, so we settled for healthy snacks.

She and John didn't want a bachelor or bachelorette party. The two of them spent the days leading to their wedding together, doing their favorite things and visiting with me.

The following morning, Eleanor and I drove to the wedding venue. The road was wedged with giant evergreens and rolling hills covered in snow. The sky was clouded, but instead of a dull gray, it looked almost white, as if it knew today was Eleanor's wedding and obliged to fulfill her wish of a white wedding day. It was beautiful.

"You know, you really shouldn't have vacated the entire resort," Eleanor said, checking her eyeballs in the sun visor mirror. "John's family members can afford to pay for their own stay."

"I want your day to be perfect," I said. "I own the thing, Eleanor. Vacating it for a few days won't hurt me. You shouldn't have to worry about his family being late or not having a place to stay, and the memory would be nice for them and you."

Eleanor sighed and turned in her seat to look at me. I glanced at her before focusing on the road. Her green eyes were too bright.

"Don't get misty eyed already," I said. "You're not even in your wedding dress yet."

She sniffed and said in a voice thick with tears, "I don't want to move to Texas."

"Eleanor, you said you loved it there."

"I did! But I'll miss you! And you'll be all alone!"

I sighed. This wasn't the first time we had this exact conversation. "I won't be alone. Besides, I told you I'm looking into estates down there, so I'll be flying over a few times a year to visit."

"Still..." She sniffed. "Are you going to give Ryan another chance?"

I chuckled. "Where did that come from?"

"I'm just saying. You should. He looks like he's really beating himself up for messing up. Also, he and Jeremy make you smile."

I smiled. "A lot of things make me smile."

"Oh, stop it. You know what I mean."

"I'll think about it," I said. "Right now we're just friends."

"Promise me you'll think about it seriously. It'll make me feel better to know you have someone here."

My smile widened. "You're trying to guilt trip me."

"Is it working?"

I laughed. She didn't even deny it. "I'll think about it. That's all I'm going to say."

"Hmph. This is my big day, you're supposed to say yes to anything I ask, you know."

"Yes."

She snorted. "Smartass."

Eleanor didn't mention Ryan again. I glanced at Pirate napping in the backseat. His collar was shaped as a white shirt collar with a black bow. It looked like he was wearing a tuxedo and it was extremely adorable. The one Eleanor picked for Lady was a pink bow with tiny flowers. I couldn't wait for Jeremy to see it.