Bella Ciao

A loud bang echoes through the room before the ground briefly starts to vibrate. Berlin and I exchange alarmed looks. Shit.

...Did you know that an accident doesn't cause a traffic jam? It happens because people stop to see it. They can't help it. Because deep down we're so simple like moth to attracted to the flame, like a bug that tries to escape when you trap it. And inspector Murillo... well she wasn't much more complex. While her partner fought for his life after an accident, she was washing her armpits while silly grinning into the mirror. The world could crumble around her and she wouldn't notice about nothing. That's exactly how you feel after having the best sex of the century. But there is always something that brings you back and usually it's not in a calm way. It was like a scene from a movie. While Angel fought for his life and Raquel stood dumbly grinning in the café's bathroom, sixteen hostages escaped through the explosion of the storage door. And as the Professor finally returned from his excursion to Hotel L'amour and realized what was happening, my heart pounded in my ears as I struggled to figure out what to do next...

"Let's go!" Denver and Helsinki are dragging a huge metal plate toward the hole to prevent the Special Forces from entering. "Let's go!" Once the plate covers the hole, the police open fire on us. Rio and Moscow help Denver and Helsinki hold up the plate.

"We need something to hold this up. Hurry!" Moscow shouts.

"And Oslo! Find Oslo!" Helsinki yells after him, as he takes his hands off the plate to clear something out of the way. "Helsinki!" Denver shouts after him, "We can't hold this up alone, come on! I can't hold it anymore!" The two manage to move out of the way just in time, and the plate crashes to the ground, presenting Helsinki, who was standing right in front of it, like he's on a platter. Shots hit him, and panic spreads through me.

"Damn it!" I scream as I watch him go down. "Helsinki!" No response. "Helsinki!" Still no response. "Helsinki!" Meanwhile, Denver tosses his father the rifle. "I'm going to check on Helsinki! Cover me!" I shout to no one in particular.

"Shoot to cover! Cover! Cover!" Berlin commands. "Three, two, one! Fire!" I try to come out of cover and shoot at the police. I run to Helsinki and kneel beside him.

"Helsinki! Okay, okay." I unzip his coverall but breathe a sigh of relief when I see he's not injured. "The vest stopped the bullet." I cup his face in my hands. "You're okay. It's just the vest." I zip up his coverall again and hand him his rifle. I look around, trying to think hard. We need to get them off our backs, or they'll be in here in moments and screw us over.

"They have thermal imaging equipment," Berlin shouts. "The smoke will only block our sight. Get it out of here. Come on, Moscow!" And so they do. "They're coming in!"

"We have to close it now!" Moscow shouts back.

"Shoot to cover! Three, two, one, fire!" Berlin yells. Helsinki holds me down by my arms to keep me from getting hit.

"Fuck! Shit!" I hear Denver scream and see Tokyo next to Berlin, breathing heavily. In a trance-like state, I look around and search for a solution. This is my family, and nothing will happen to them as long as I'm here!

"Cover me!" I shout and stand up.

"Stay!" Helsinki shouts, while Berlin asks, "Where are you going?"

"Cover me! Cover me!" I quickly stand up and turn to the opening, shooting at the police outside as I run backward and quickly take cover behind a metal roll. I work my way back as fast as possible until I reach the Browning and remove the cloth. "Get out of the way!" I yell at the others and push the rifle forward to the opening, while hiding behind the crate on which the rifle is placed. I feel the front of the crate getting riddled with bullets, and wood splinters fly into my face. Berlin jumps aside before I can hit him with the crate, and I position myself behind it. The policemen take cover as soon as they see the rifle, and I start shooting. Beside Helsinki or Oslo, I might be the best shooter, but that's not important right now. The point is to drive them away, not to kill them. Once the first magazine is empty, I yell at the others to close this damn opening. "Close it!" Rio comes with two metal supports from cover, which he and Helsinki fasten, while Denver welds the plate firmly. Berlin and Nairobi secure the supports and drill them into the ground, while Tokyo helps me push the Browning to the side.