Chapter 21

Aaron's POV

"My father called. I need to do some work around the ranch today." I said to Bethany as she got ready for the day. "Alright." Bethany muttered, her eyes never looking up at me.

Through the years I've grown to know her mannerisms and small gestures that no one else cared to notice except for maybe Connie and Eddie.

The morning sun danced against her dark almost black hair shimmering in different warm brown shades. Watching her pull her long hair in a high ponytail trying to figure out if she was upset or not.

"I'm going to go for a run." She said without emotion making me lean off the bed. I hated seeing her like this. She was pushing herself away from me again and I hated it.

Ever since we left the bar, Bethany has been acting strangely, unable to look at me and pulled away from my advances. She was acting unlike herself since the short time we've been together. I was afraid that asking her out on a date was making her uncomfortable and have second thoughts about us. Was she regretting being with me?

"You run?" I smiled weakly expecting the usual banter between each other. "Helps clear my head." She continued to get dressed in leggings and her olive green sports bra.

"Hey," I stopped her as she was about to leave the room without another word. "Look at me." I demanded softly as she clutched the doorknob, her back towards me.

"Aaron-" She began to get frustrated as I stood up from my bed. "Look at me, Bethany." I pressed in a stronger tone than before making her noticeably tense.

"What's on your mind?" I asked, desperately wanting her to confide in me. I was always able to tell when something was eating away at her and each time I felt as though it was my job to make her feel better. I could never go on knowing she was hurting.

Her greenish brown eyes glossed over as if she was on the brink of tears. "So, now it's Bethany?" She hissed moving away from me.

"It's your name isn't it? What else would you prefer? You hate what I call you Betty." I replied calmly although I knew she didn't.

"What about Bitchy Betty? Bitter Beth? Or any other names you came up with behind my back!" She yelled dripping with heartache and anger. "What are you talking about?" I asked not letting my own frustration get the best of me.

"Did you come up with those cruel names?" She asked suddenly as she began to shake. "Bethany-" "Did you?!" She put more distance between us. "A simple yes or no will suffice."

"We were kids, Beth. We all had nicknames for each other." I replied as her shoulders relaxed. "You did." She breathed in realization as my heart sank seeing the devastation on her face.

"You told me it was Todd! That idiot on your team!" Bethany roared before storming out of my bedroom. "Well, it was. It was the both of us. We were at a game and you were in the stands with Connie. You refused to cheer for any of us. You looked as though you wanted to be anywhere but there." I began to explain as I followed her through my apartment.

"So, this is my fault? Because I didn't stroke your ego?!" She yelled amused as I tried to console her. "Because I didn't give any of you the attention that you thought you were entitled to? That you clearly craved? Because I was a cold hearted, stuck up loner who didn't know how to have fun?" She quoted just some of the mean things people have said to her over the years. Including me.

"No, this isn't your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. I was just an idiot trying to fit in with everyone else. I was so madly in love with you I couldn't risk anyone figuring it out." I pleaded following her around my apartment as she made it to the front door.